Women's health for every woman is the key to her well-being and beautiful appearance. Ladies who take care of themselves must pass a gynecologist's examination and all necessary examinations in a timely manner. One of the most popular diagnostic procedures in modern gynecology is hysteroscopy. This study allows you to examine the uterus and make an accurate diagnosis. The specialist enters the uterine cavity, which has reflective properties, which allows the specialist to see the uterine cavity on the screen.
Uterine hysteroscopy - a popular diagnostic procedure
Types of hysteroscopy
As with any study, this examination affects the woman's body and may entail consequences that depend on the type of research conducted.
There are the following types of hysteroscopy:
- Surgical. It is used to quickly solve the problems of uterine polyp or fibroids with minimal possibility of injury to the female body.
- Microhysteroscopy. This type of research is diagnostic. The apparatus used for the procedure allows us to examine the uterine tissue at the cellular level without damaging them.
- Diagnostic. It is a routine examination.
When to wait for menstruation
During the study, the endometrium is removed, which is why menstruation may begin later. Monthly after hysteroscopy begin to go after a month of the prescribed number of days. But sometimes the cycle can be broken and then you need to consult a gynecologist and go through the necessary research to determine the cause of the problem. If there was a violation of the menstrual cycle after surgery, then do not worry, because it will take some time to fully restore the body.
Endometrium - the shell of the uterus, if you remove it, menstruation will begin later
The effect of the procedure on the monthly
The effect of the procedure on menstruation depends on the type of hysteroscopy performed:
- Diagnostic hysteroscopy. If no biopsy was performed during the study, then the menstrual cycle should not be disturbed and the menstruation will begin within the time allowed for it. For this type of examination tend not to disturb the menstrual cycle. Normally, menstrual periods after hysteroscopy begin in normal numbers. But research itself is stressful for the body and therefore there can sometimes be a delay (from three to fourteen days). Gradually, the cycle is normalized. In the event that major changes have occurred, it is recommended to consult a specialist.
- Surgical intervention. If surgery was performed, then the start of the cycle should be considered the date of the operation. Monthly after hysteroscopy should normally begin in the prescribed number of days. But there may be a delay in menstruation of up to two weeks. Sometimes critical days begin earlier than they should. It also does not go beyond the norm, if they started 3-5 days earlier.
Diagnostic hysteroscopy rarely causes cycle disturbances.
Nature of menstruation
After the procedure, the women may change not only the time of the onset of menstruation, but also the nature of the bleeding. All changes that can occur depend on the reaction of the female body. No one will be able to predict the nature of menstruation after the study, because everything depends on the characteristics of the female body.
Some women may have heavy periods, while others may have small blood smears. Neither in the first nor in the second case, this can not be considered a pathology. The nature of the discharge depends on the ability of the mucous membrane of the uterus to recover.
But it is better for a woman to follow some time for the discharge, and if she is worried about something, consult with the gynecologist. It is necessary to pay attention to the consistency, color and smell of discharge. Alarming signal are brown discharge with an unpleasant odor. This symptom may occur with the development of postoperative inflammation.
In some cases, after hysteroscopy, very heavy periods are observed.
What are the types of monthly
Monthly after hysteroscopy may differ from what they were before the procedure. Therefore:
- Abundant periods. The first menstruation, which begins after the procedure, may be more abundant than usual. If the menstrual blood of normal color, does not have an unpleasant smell, then you should not worry. When the discharge has a large number of clots and an unpleasant pungent smell, this may indicate the development of adverse processes in the uterus. In this case, you should immediately seek help from a specialist.
- Scanty menstruation. By itself, it is not a pathology, and if there are no other related factors, a woman should not worry. When menstruation is accompanied by a sharp pain, have an unpleasant smell, then the woman should consult with your doctor.
- Painful periods. After the procedure can be observed during menstruation pain. Normally, these symptoms should pass at the very beginning of menstruation. If your period continues to be painful, then the woman should be examined.
- Yellow discharge. With surgery, yellow discharge may appear on the second day, which lasts up to five days. If such secretions are not accompanied by other symptoms (pain, unpleasant smell), then you should not worry.
Women should remember that, despite the harmlessness of hysteroscopy, it is an operation that violates the integrity of the tissues. This increases the risk of infection in the postoperative period. Therefore, women should strictly comply with all therapeutic prescriptions of the doctor and the rules of personal hygiene.
Indications for hysteroscopy
Thanks to visual control, this technique allows you to more accurately establish the diagnosis. Conducting hysteroscopy is a good addition to other methods of examination.
The most frequent indications for hysteroscopy are such states:
- difficulties in the diagnosis of endometrial diseases,
- the inability to confirm the disease in the diagnosis of other methods (ultrasound, MRI),
- the appearance of heavy monthly and clots in the menstrual flow.
Indications for hysteroscopy with scraping:
- heavy bleeding in the intermenstrual period,
- suspected malignant neoplasm in the uterus,
- uterine polyps,
- removal of parts of the placenta after an abortion and missed abortion.
Before carrying out the manipulation it is necessary to undergo a small examination: donate blood for a general analysis and assessment of its clotting.
Monthly after hysteroscopy
Carrying out diagnostic hysteroscopy, as a rule, does not have a significant effect on the menstrual cycle, since the hormonal background does not change.
Normally, after the procedure, menstruation should begin at the intended time and not be accompanied by any pathological manifestations: pain, unusual color, unpleasant smell, and sensation of itching.
On the other hand, hysteroscopy is an intervention, so in some women the menstrual cycle may be slightly disturbed. It depends on the individual characteristics of the female body.
The most frequent temporary violation of the menstrual cycle is its delay, which can vary from 3 days to two weeks. Less often the next monthly begin earlier than the put term.
After hysteroscopy, the periods sometimes last longer than usual. All this is a normal reaction of the body to the procedure, and the cycle should be restored after a month.
If the woman underwent hysteroresectoscopy, then the day of surgery is considered the first day of the monthly cycle. The next menstruation should be expected through the usual period of time, which is different for each woman.
Side Effects of Hysteroscopy
Endoscopic surgery using hysteroresectoscopy is considered to be less traumatic and is better tolerated than conventional methods. However, it is not always possible to avoid complications and undesirable side effects. After hysteroscopy, abundant periods in some cases are a temporary condition, in others a sign of inflammation.
It is important to pay attention to the first menstruation after the hysteroscopy procedure. Pathological signs are menstrual discharge with an unpleasant odor, a change in their normal color and texture. The appearance of blood clots, fever. Such symptoms are signs of an inflammatory process.
The appearance of severe pain, brown discharge with blood clots and strong odor can be symptoms of endometriosis.
Abundant menstrual bleeding leads to a large blood loss, depletes iron stores in the body, causes anemia. This condition requires an urgent examination by a gynecologist.
When surgical hysteroscopy is performed to cure the uterus when abortion or missed abortion, it is extremely important to do this procedure very carefully. If particles of the fetus or placenta remain in the uterus, this will cause heavy bleeding and an inflammatory process.
In the case of suspicion of incomplete curettage, a blood test is conducted for the content of chorionic gonadotropin. If the diagnosis is confirmed, urgent treatment and re-curettage are necessary.
Causes of cycle violation
Why do hysteroscopy appear after hysteroscopy? The recovery of menstruation after hysteroscopy occurs at different time intervals. Sometimes it should take a long time, sometimes - the first menstrual periods after the operation may come on time and will not differ from the previous ones. In some cases, menstruation may begin even earlier than usual.
It must be remembered that each organism is individual and the reaction is impossible to predict.
If hysteroscopy was performed to diagnose the state of the organs after curettage, then menstruation after cyscling hysteroscopy occurs depending on the hormonal status. Separate diagnostic curettage (EFD) is performed in the following sequence: first, material is taken from the cervical canal, and then from the uterus. The study is performed either a few days before the next menstruation, or a few days after, in the second half of the cycle. Depending on the rate of tissue healing, the menstrual cycle will be restored. In the case of an abortion, a strong restructuring occurs, which will cause a delay in menstruation.
An infection may occur during surgery. The probability of this is low, but it is still there. In case of infection, painful periods begin. In this case, there will be a long-term recovery of the body and we are talking here already about saving life and health.
The nature of menstruation after the procedure
Many patients who have undergone surgery, note that some time after it came very heavy periods. Their duration also varies, the first periods after the intervention will be longer than before. When will the next monthly, and how much will be restored cycle is difficult to say.
We analyze in order. How to determine how big the problem is? Notice how often the gasket has to be changed. With too much secretion - more often than once every 3-4 hours. Then you should consult with your doctor, who will tell you what to do. You also need to pay attention to whether there is a need to change hygiene products at night. If a woman is concerned about the duration of her period, which brings her discomfort, then you should definitely seek medical help. Abundant amounts of menstrual blood can cause weakness and will greatly interfere with life.
What monthly in volume and whether their quantity varies is very important. Often come scanty periods after hysteroscopy. This may be due to the fact that sometimes after surgery, the nature of menstruation is reversed. That is, if earlier they were abundant, now they will be scarce and last less, or vice versa.
The structure of the discharge may change. This means that clots appear, the color of the discharge and the smell change. Changes begin immediately after hysteroscopy. Menstruation with clots can be directly related to the postoperative period, when blood secretion occurs. Women note that menstruation in this case began earlier than expected. An unpleasant smell may indicate an accession infection. How dangerous it is, even no need to explain. The infection process can affect not only the genitals, but also go further, become generalized.
Any changes in the nature of menstruation should alert the woman and force to seek help!
Brown menstruation after hysteroscopy may indicate endometriosis. If menstruation has gone prematurely, before the expected time, it is most likely a postoperative discharge.
Menstruation after hysteroscopy can be painful. The fact is that the operation, especially with resection of tumors, is a damaging factor for the uterine mucosa. She needs time to heal, restore full-fledged work. This period is accompanied by pain. Virtually no chance that they will remain forever.
How to avoid complications?
For a speedy recovery and restoration of sexual function, a woman should follow all the recommendations of specialists.
It is necessary to refrain from sexual intercourse for up to a month. It depends on how much intervention was performed. Be sure to limit physical activity and do not lift heavy things. A woman should be protected from hypothermia or overheating.
In case of infection, the patient should take prescribed medications, follow all rules of personal hygiene. Recovery from surgery is a long process, it can take a different amount of time. Recovery is more dependent on the patient.
What is the essence of hysteroscopy?
The procedure is done both for diagnostic purposes and for the treatment of certain types of diseases:
- Diagnostics. Through the examination, the gynecologist can collect all the necessary information about the state of the uterus and ovaries for more accurate diagnosis. Thanks to this procedure, it is possible to establish the presence of adhesions, growths of the endometrium, myomas, etc.
- Treatment. Surgical hysteroscopy consists in carrying out measures for dissecting septa in the uterus, which allows for the removal of overgrown polyps, tumors, growths and adhesions.
Reasons for Hysteroscopy
When they usually do hysteroscopy: before menstruation or after?
As a rule, the procedure is performed after the passage of critical days. It is painful, so the recovery period can take a week or two. But this time is enough for the body to fully "come to its senses."
Hysteroscopy of the uterus occurs with the following symptoms:
- Uterine bleeding,
- Disruption of the menstrual cycle (heavy or scarce bleeding),
- Miscarriage of the fetus (spontaneous abortion),
- Inability to get pregnant without any objective or visible reasons.
When is the procedure prescribed?
Most often, diagnosis and treatment using this method is prescribed by specialists in case of suspicion of such types of gynecological diseases:
- Incorrect formation of the uterus: underdevelopment, the presence of partitions, two-axis organ,
- Adenomyosis. The disease is characterized by the growth of the endometrium in the muscular layers of the uterus,
- Myomas. Tumor neoplasms (benign),
- Uterine cancer. These are malignant tumors that form in the endometrium,
- Polyps. Random cell division of the endometrium, leading to its proliferation.
How does hysteroscopy affect critical days?
Monthly after making a hysteroscopy with a procedure of curettage in duration, as well as the abundance of secretions may differ slightly from menstruation before treatment. Often women note a slight shift in the beginning of the critical days themselves. The first periods usually begin 25-30 days after curettage.
Ideally, removal of myomas and other neoplasms in the uterus is done on day 6 after the start of critical days. And since the recovery period does not exceed the crescent, by the beginning of the next menstrual period, the woman’s health should already be normalized.
The nature of bleeding after cleaning
Experts note that a short-term increase or decrease in the volume of discharge after diagnostic cleaning is not a cause for concern. Often, abundant and relatively painful periods after hysteroscopy occur for another two months after treatment. In addition, the number of critical days may temporarily change.
In some cases, there are also delays in menstruation during the period after hysteroscopy.This is due to hormonal imbalances that occur after diagnostic cleansing.
Typical manifestations of posthysteroscopic period:
- Scanty and heavy bleeding,
- Menstrual shift
- Delay for critical days
- Thicker and darker discharge.
If during the period of menstruation a woman has to change the gasket more often than once every 3 hours, this can lead to quite serious blood loss. Therefore, gynecologists recommend immediately contact a specialist. Such a condition leads to a strong drop in hemoglobin levels and blood pressure.
Delay and heavy discharge are not the only possible consequences of diagnostic cleaning of the uterine cavity.
Often, complications are not observed, but in case of violation of rehabilitation rules, unprofessional performance of the procedure and the individual characteristics of the organism, the following types of complications may occur:
- Perforation of the walls of the uterus. With a strong violation of the tactics of hysteroscopy, breaking of the uterine walls is possible. Manifestations of perforation are usually severe cramps in the abdomen, physical weakness, dizziness, decrease in pressure. To resolve the problem, immediate surgery may be required,
- Uterine bleeding. In many patients in the posthysteroscopic period, scanty periods are observed, which last no more than three days. If blood is released from the vagina in large volumes and longer than the prescribed time, you should contact a specialist.
- Endometritis. Sometimes pathogenic microorganisms are introduced into the uterus with a hysteroscope. This leads to inflammatory processes in the endometrium, characterized by cuttings in the abdomen, a sharp increase in temperature, as well as secretions that are purulent and unpleasant by smell.
Critical days after laparoscopy
Laparoscopy refers to the number of minimally invasive surgical interventions in the event of adhesions, benign and malignant tumors, as well as acute gynecological ailments. This technique allows for a preliminary examination of the state of the uterus, to take tissue samples for biopsy and carry out the removal of tumors.
In 90% of cases, women who underwent laparoscopy do not have any complications.
The procedure is prescribed for approximately the 7th day of the cycle, which allows the body to recover even before the start of the next critical days.
Monthly after laparoscopy
Laparoscopy is one of the most painless and safe methods of gynecological diagnosis and surgical treatment. Within a couple of weeks after treatment, women resume physical activity and at the same time do not experience strong changes in the course of menstruation.
Nevertheless, in certain situations, after laparoscopy, some “transformations” of the state of the organism can be observed, namely:
- Shift cycle. Since the body is under severe stress during laparoscopy, it can also affect the duration of the menstrual cycle,
- Delay of menstruation. It occurs most often due to the effects of anesthesia and stress. Normally, the delay can be two to three weeks,
- Mucous discharge. May be detected immediately after surgery. Often they pass within three weeks after performing laparoscopy. Spotting should not have a sharp smell and brownish tint.
In very rare situations, menstrual periods after laparoscopy and hysteroscopy may begin later, go longer and with a larger volume of discharge. However, in the presence of strong blood loss, an urgent need to consult a doctor, because such a state is fraught with disastrous consequences.