Scheduling basal temperature, as a way to know the favorable time for fertilization, is known to every woman. In our article, we will look at what values for basal temperature after menstruation are the norm and what deviations can mean, because the schedule allows, in addition to detecting ovulation, to monitor the state of one's health.
First phase: basal temperature after menstruation
- In the first half of the cycle, the basal temperature after menstruation is kept at 36.2-36.5 °, in some cases 36.7 °. Duration: approximately from day 1 to day 11 (at the 28 day cycle). At this time, a certain amount of estrogen in the blood creates the most favorable conditions for the growth and development of the dominant follicle.
- From 12th to 16th day, a decrease of 0.1-0.2 ° occurs first, which means a quick exit of the cell, and then a rise of 0.4-0.6 °, which confirms the fact that the liquid bubble with the cell breaks. It is for this moment that the temperature is measured, because it is the only part of the cycle, only a day or a bit longer, when conception is most likely.
Second phase: high basal temperature for conception
- The second phase is characterized by a temperature of 37.0-37.3 °, but not higher than 37.5 °. In this case, the effect of progesterone, necessary to create favorable conditions for conception and pregnancy.
The difference in basal temperature after menstruation and between phases during a normal cyclic period is 0.4-0.6 °.
Basal temperature of 36.9 ° after menstruation
Basal temperature of 36.9 ° after menstruation may indicate a lack of hormone of the first phase, which causes an increase in temperature indicators. But perhaps this is just the individuality of the organism, if such values are recorded monthly. For example, in a perfectly healthy woman, after the numbers in the first part of the graph is 36.1-36.2 °, in the second segment, the values are 36.8-36.9 °.
Basal temperature after menstruation 36.8
The basal temperature after menstruation is 36.8 and the increase in its values after ovulation, but if there is a discrepancy of 0.4 °, no pathology is recognized. This condition is called hyperthermic and is defined as a normal individual trait.
It is believed that the normal mean variations of temperature numbers are as follows:
- From the first to the last day of menstruation, the decline occurs from 37 to 36.3-36.5 °,
- Before ovulation, dropping down by 0.1-0.2 °,
- After the release of the cell within 3 days increase to 37.0-37.3 °,
- In the second phase holds 37.0-37.4 °,
- 1-2 days before the monthly decrease to 36.8 °,
- If the decline does not occur and if there is a delay, you can talk about the onset of pregnancy.
Variations in the basal temperature after menstruation by 0.1-0.2 ° are possible - this is quite normal for a healthy woman.
Basal temperature after menstruation 37 °
Basal temperature after menstruation 37 ° is an identifying sign of endometritis, inflammation of the uterine mucosa. With a slight decrease on the eve of critical days, it observes an increase on the first day of menstruation and can stay until their end and later. If you find such a picture on the graph, you should contact your gynecologist to get rid of the problem in time.
Basal temperature after menstruation 37.1-37.0 °
At an inflammation of appendages the basal temperature after monthly 37,1-37,0 ° is also characteristic. It rises sharply to these numbers, lasts for several days and also drops sharply. In such cases, you can incorrectly calculate the day of ovulation, taking this jump for him, if it happened on day 9 or 11. With this disease in the second phase of the cycle, the temperature will show values above the norm, which again will require medical intervention in order to avoid complications.
The basal temperature after menstrual periods of 37.1-37.0 ° may indicate the beginning of the process of inflammation of the appendages.
When not following the rules
There may be errors in the measurement. We remember that measurements are carried out according to clear rules:
- After 6 hours of restful sleep,
- At the same time
- Without getting out of bed and without making sudden movements,
- One thermometer, prepared in the evening,
- Holding for 5-7 minutes or until sound when using electronic.
Also, external factors can influence the result:
- Stressful situation the day before,
- Insomnia or interrupted sleep
- Physical overstrain, overwork,
- Sexual intercourse in less than 8 hours before measurement,
- Flight, change of climatic conditions.
Some skeptics believe that the basal temperature chart is not accurate enough, since many factors affect the temperature, which makes analytics difficult.
But many women with its help were able to plan their pregnancy, calculating the optimal time for an effective act. Suppose it is not informative enough in terms of determining early pregnancy, but according to the points of the graph indicating what basal temperature after menstruation, at the time of ovulation, and before them we can judge the hormonal balance that supports the reproductive function of a woman, notice deviations in time and take appropriate measures.
Thus, what should be the basal temperature after menstruation depends on the characteristics of the female body in each case. You can navigate to the average standards with which we introduced you. It is important to follow the rules of measurement and plotting.
A normal is considered a two-phase curve with visible pre-ovulatory drooping, an increase in the second period of the cyclic process and a decline before the monthly periods. The absence of the latter indicates the presence of pregnancy, if the increase lasts more than 18 days after ovulation.
Why measure BT - why the readings change
Measuring the basal temperature and making the corresponding schedule will allow a woman to assess the state of her reproductive system. Since the body of each representative of the fair sex works in its own mode, then the schedule for each lady will look different. Indicators of BT can affect not only the features of the organism and the presence of pathologies, but also the day of the cycle.
To obtain a complete picture, it is necessary to observe changes in BT for at least 4 months. Measurements for 1 cycle will not allow to make correct calculations. It does not matter how exactly the measurement was taken: it can be oral, vaginal or rectal temperature, the main thing is that each time the measurement was carried out similarly to the previous one.
Schedule BT can tell a lot about the doctor:
- most often, these values are used to determine pregnancy when menstruation is delayed,
- whether it is possible to find out if the egg has matured, that is, the ovulation moment is visible on the chart,
- you can determine the presence of gynecological diseases and inflammatory processes,
- determines the functionality of the endocrine system,
- estimated level of hormone secretion by the ovaries.
If a woman cannot get pregnant for a long time, maintaining the BT schedule will help determine the presence of irregularities in the reproductive system, such as:
- hormonal imbalance, not allowing the embryo to consolidate in the endometrium,
- hiding gynecological diseases causing infertility,
- infertility due to the lack of ovulation per se,
- problems in the activity of the endocrine system.
By measuring BT, it is possible to significantly increase the chances of conception, some women use such graphics to conceive a baby of a certain sex.
It should be remembered that it is impossible to diagnose yourself only according to the indications of basal temperature, it is necessary to go through laboratory and instrumental studies to confirm it. To conduct an accurate diagnosis can only doctor.
To measure the basal temperature gave the most reliable information, you need to choose the right time for measurements, namely, the time when the temperature is the lowest. Compliance with the following rules for measuring BT is the key to obtaining accurate information:
- Basal temperature should be measured only after waking from a sleep that lasts at least 5-6 hours without a break.
- Measurements are made at such points: the vagina, the rectum (the most accurate data), the mouth. If measured in the mouth, the thermometer should be put under the tongue for 5 minutes. At the remaining points, it is enough to hold the thermometer for 3 minutes.
- The measurement is carried out every time at the same time with a spread of no more than half an hour.
- Measure BT need one method and one tool. For these purposes, a mercury thermometer is better suited.
- Prepare the measuring device needed in the evening. The thermometer must be knocked down and placed near the bed so that the sutra does not get up from it, and immediately, when we wake up, take readings.
- After waking up, before making measurements, you should never get out of bed, stretch and move actively.
- The value of BT is influenced by every active movement and time. Every hour after waking up, it rises by 0.1 degrees, so it makes no sense to measure it during the day and in the evening, the result will be useless.
- If you need to stop a night's sleep for any reason, then you need to do the things that were planned, and then go to bed for another 3-4 hours, and then take measurements of BT.
- It is necessary to take readings in the supine position, which implies the measurement of the measurements, without getting out of bed.
- As soon as the thermometer is removed, you immediately need to fix the readings in the graph.
- If the mercury column on the thermometer is located between two divisions, you need to take into account the lower mark.
- If a woman works on a night shift, you need to take readings after an afternoon nap.
- On the chart you need to note all the incidents that may affect the value of the measurements, such factors include intimate relationships on the eve, long stay on the road, fever, taking sleeping pills, hormonal or sedative drugs and alcohol.
- Measurements are best done before 8 in the morning.
- Since the schedule needs to be filled for about 3 months, measurements are taken daily, even on critical days.
Since the female reproductive system can relax 2 times during the year, ovulation does not occur at this time, conception can only be suspected when the chart shows that it was in this cycle.
BT standards at different stages
For the female body it is quite natural that BT changes throughout the cycle. But in order to determine what it is normal, it is necessary to carry out measurements for at least 3 months in order to obtain reliable data. Consider what are the valid values of BT at different stages of the menstrual cycle, as well as what this or that temperature may mean with systematic measurements, and how many days before menstruation its value begins to fall.
It is necessary to start drawing up a schedule on the first day of your period, that is, on this day you need to make the 1st measurement. Its value in the first days rises slightly, so this indicator does not take part in the calculations. On average, the basal temperature during menstruation can fluctuate within 36.3-36.5 ° C, this value can hold the entire 1st phase of the cycle. These are the optimal conditions for follicle growth under the influence of the hormone estrogen.
Immediately before the ripened egg must leave the ovary, BT begins to fall by a few tenths of a degree, and then rises sharply to 37-37.2 ° C. An increase in basal temperature indicates the onset of ovulation and the beginning of the 2nd phase of the cycle, such indicators can hold up to the end of the cycle.
What will be the basal temperature before menstruation depends on the state of the egg: whether it is fertilized or not. In the place of the breakthrough of the follicle in the wound on the wall of the ovary a yellow body is formed, which produces the hormone progesterone. It depends on him the result of fertilization. Under the influence of progesterone, BT increases to 37.0-37.5 ° C. This is the best time for conception. Until the end of the cycle, the graph will mark values within such limits. When conceiving such indications are noted before and after the delay - this is the surest sign of pregnancy. To confirm its occurrence, you can optionally use the test.
A week before menstruation, normal basal temperature can be kept around 37 ° С, the highest mark should not exceed 37.5 ° С. It is necessary to take into account one nuance that with the 4-week cycle it is precisely at this time that implantation dropping can be observed - BT decreases by several tenths of a degree while the embryo is fixed in the uterine wall. In this case, the expectant mother can feel pain in the lower abdomen, minor spotting can also occur. BT during embryo attachment may not go far from every woman, but over time, the value is still aligned. If fertilization has not occurred, then the level of progesterone drops, and this leads to a decrease in BT on the eve of menstruation.
3 days before menstruation, BT is usually characterized by falling by 3-5 tenths of a degree. A variant of the norm in this period will be its value in the range of 36.7-37.1 °. But in general, for every woman before menstruation, the rate of basal temperature will be individual.
By measuring the basal temperature, it is possible to assess the coherence of the female body, it can be said for sure when the time is most suitable for conception, and to specify the days on which you can not protect yourself during sexual intercourse. It is best to take measurements several cycles in a row to achieve greater accuracy of the results.
Since the work of the female body is highly dependent on hormones, it is quite natural that because of their level, the value of BT can increase and decrease. Low basal temperature is noted immediately before ovulation and on the last days of the cycle. In the latter case, this means that fertilization has not come and you need to prepare for the arrival of menstruation. If the basal temperature at this time does not subside, but stays at 37 and a half or even 38 °, this may indicate the presence of an inflammatory process or disease in the body. During pregnancy, BT does not increase more than up to 37.2-37.5 ° C, which means that 38 ° C is an alarming signal for a woman, meaning that you need to see a doctor immediately.
The basal temperature after menstruation is kept between 36-36.9 ° C, but if it stays at that level the whole cycle, this means that this month the reproductive system decided to take a rest, since there would be a temperature rise upon the onset of ovulation. In this cycle, pregnancy will not be possible. It is only necessary to panic if a similar situation repeats several cycles to a row - this is a reason to seek help from a specialist.
Graph of basal temperature before menstruation
The BT graph is a usual linear graph with 2 axes of coordinates, where the number of days in the cycle is plotted along the X axis, and the temperature in degrees is plotted along the Y axis, the division value along the Y axis is 0.1 °, while the value at the zero mark 35.7 ° C.
Every day a woman immediately after waking up, right in bed, measures BT with any method convenient for her using the same thermometer. After receiving the value, it puts a point at the intersection of the day of the cycle and indications on the thermometer. Then these points are connected. Thus, it is possible to clearly trace all changes in BT per cycle. The graph clearly shows when it rises, and when it falls.
During critical days, BT may be 36.6 ° C, a maximum of 36.7 ° C, then it declines, and immediately before ovulation it has the lowest value over several days. After the release of the egg in the body, there is a sharp jump in progesterone, and after it the temperature rises, reaching 37-37.2 ° C. This level is maintained throughout the 2nd phase of the cycle, right up to the new cycle, and then gradually decreases.
Causes of basal temperature deviations
Indicators BT can deviate from the normal values characteristic of a particular phase of the cycle. If the deviations of the basal temperature are significant, then it is imperative that you seek the advice of a specialist.
Deviations of temperature indications in pathologies can be as follows:
- progesterone deficiency - the curve on the graph goes down sharply. The temperature may rise slightly, but holds no longer than a week. The temperature difference between the phases is less than 0.4 degrees. The second phase becomes shorter (not 14, but 10 days), periods come prematurely,
- endometritis. When inflammation of the uterine mucosa in the first days of the cycle BT increases to 37 degrees, instead of falling. With these symptoms, you can learn about the presence of pathology, but to confirm it you need to contact a specialist,
- problem pregnancy. If BT is marked at 37 and a half degrees, there is no menstruation, which indicates pregnancy, but a bloody “daub” from the vagina has begun, this may be a sign of spontaneous abortion. If the test does not confirm the presence of pregnancy, it may be ectopic,
- no ovulation. Когда на графике замеры располагаются бессистемно, то подскакивают вверх, то падают вниз, в этом цикле овуляции не было и зачатие не наступит. Если это повторяется несколько циклов подряд, консультация гинеколога обязательна,
- inflammation of the appendages can be diagnosed when even in the first phase a high basal temperature is measured at a level of 37 °, confirmation of the presence of the inflammatory process is an increase in BT to 38 degrees in the 2nd phase of the cycle.
When taking hormonal contraceptive scheduling BT will be ineffective, because these drugs significantly distort the measurement values.
What method is based on
The body temperature of a woman depends on many factors, the main of which is the change in the concentration of sex hormones throughout the menstrual cycle. Moreover, fluctuations can be observed even not by weeks, but by hours and minutes.
- The first phase of the cycle. It is caused by the work of estrogen, under the influence of which the egg cell matures. During ovulation, the levels of these hormones, regulated by luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), peak. As a result, a ripe egg cell leaves the follicle for fertilization. Increased concentration of estrogen inhibits metabolic processes. Accordingly, the temperature in the tissues of the pelvic organs decreases.
- The second phase of the cycle. Regulated by progestins. After ovulation, the concentration of these hormones increases and affects the formation of the endometrium. Progesterone is also responsible for the normal course of the gestation period, for which he received the name "pregnancy hormone". It stimulates thermoregulatory processes, which causes an increased basal temperature during pregnancy, before menstruation.
By regularly measuring the basal temperature over several months, you can determine how the phases of the menstrual cycle change when ovulation occurs and the most likely days of conception. And also find out whether it took place.
For this, BT indicators are recorded every day in a special schedule. You can compose it yourself or use separate calendars, electronic applications.
What does basal temperature indicate
Data BT is informative not only for the patient, but also for doctors. With proper interpretation of the basal temperature graph, pregnancy can be determined, as well as:
- the relative concentration of estrogen and gestagen,
- approximation and onset of ovulation,
- deviations in the menstrual cycle
- pathology of gestation in 1 trimester:
- suspected infertility
- inflammatory processes in the genitals.
6 rules for accurate results
Basal temperature is a very sensitive indicator, it can be influenced by various factors. Therefore, the reliability of the findings depends only on the accuracy of measurements. To achieve this, it is necessary to prepare for the construction of the BT schedule. Here are the basic recommendations:
- limit sex — a few hours before measuring the BTT indicator,
- avoid loads - physical and emotional at the time of measurement,
- follow a diet - it is useful to limit the use of salty, fatty, fried foods,
- rest - before measuring the basal temperature should sleep at least three hours.
Measure basal temperature to determine ovulation is necessary, adhering to the following six rules.
- Measurement frequency. Record the temperature readings every day at the same time, marking them in a special chart (table). Measurement BT before menstruation and during them also need to be carried out.
- Method BTT is measured rectally - in the rectum. Oral and vaginal methods are not standard for this procedure, do not give accurate results.
- Times of Day . The procedure is carried out in the morning. Be sure to have a woman in front of her should be in a state of complete rest (preferably - sleep) for at least three hours. If there was a night shift at work the day before, a note should be made, as this may affect the result. It is pointless to conduct research in the evening - it is not informative at this time. Any physical activity should be limited. It is not even recommended to shake the thermometer before measuring. Any activity changes the indications of basal temperature, so the procedure is carried out at the time of waking up and before getting out of bed.
- Thermometer. Measurements should be carried out by the same thermometer, without changing the mercury to electronic and vice versa. The most reliable readings are given by a mercury thermometer. It should be brought down to the minimum mark the night before, so as not to put an effort to it just before the procedure.
- Duration It is acceptable if a woman does not ovulate every month, especially closer to 40 years. Therefore, measurements should be carried out over a long time (at least 12 weeks). During pregnancy, it makes sense to measure up to 2 trimester, at 3 - the hormonal profile “at its discretion” changes the temperature.
- Fixation indicators. It is best to note the result obtained immediately in the graph: since the difference in performance can be a few tenths of a degree, it is easy to forget or confuse them. As the point-marks of the basal temperature are put down, it is recommended to connect them with each other by lines. Also in the chart should note any factors that could affect the changes and accuracy of the data.
BT indicators: normal ...
There are relative norms of basal temperature, according to which one can calculate, without the help of a specialist, which phase the cycle and days of the highest female fertility are on.
- First phase (downgrade). Regulated by estrogen. Accounted for 1-13 days of the cycle. Immediately after menstruation, the basal temperature index decreases to 36.6-36.2 ° C.
- Ovulatory phase (fluctuations). Peak activity of estrogen, FSH and LH. Lasts up to three days. Day or two on the eve of ovulation, BT reaches 36.6-36.7 ° C. The basal temperature during ovulation rises by 0.1-0.4 ° C. After the rupture of the follicle and the release of the egg, the index is 37-37,4 ° C.
- The second phase (increase). It is regulated by progesterone and accounts for 16-28 days of the cycle. During this period, BT increased, its indicators vary in the range of 37-37,4 ° C.
A few days before the start of menstruation after ovulation, the level of progesterone decreases rapidly and low basal temperature is again noted (within 36.8-36.6 ° C).
... and deviations
The graph of basal temperature is a kind of indicator of a woman’s health. Deviations from the normal indicators of BT can talk about the following.
- Inflammation. If elevated basal temperature is recorded before menstruation and during them, this may indicate an inflammatory process in the reproductive organs.
- Lack of the second phase. Indicators of BT in the luteal phase of the cycle below the norm indicate a deficit of progesterones.
- Individual features of the body. Small deviations (in tenths of a degree) that persist throughout the cycle may be individual manifestations of the body's work.
- Ovulation offset. Moving a BT jump horizontally on a schedule (to the right or left side) indicates early or late ovulation. Only a specialist can judge its success.
- Double ovulation. It is characterized by two peaks of temperature increase. Moreover, the second is possible in the late second phase, superimposed on the main value and therefore it is difficult to notice.
If the cycle has passed without ovulation, there are several options for basal temperature graphs.
- High temperature in the first phase. When the temperature is over 36.6 ° C in the first half of the cycle, it means that the level of estrogen is lowered. They are not enough to keep the temperature, so the egg can not mature.
- Smooth, not a rapid rise in temperature. Such dynamics of BT during ovulation indicates the inferiority of the egg, which is why the follicle does not break.
- Sudden fall and then fever. In the second phase, this indicates that the egg cell has died.
- Smooth temperature indicators the whole cycle. The complete absence of a jump in basal temperature indicates a lack of ovulation.
Values during pregnancy
Often, women resort to basal temperature measurement to increase the chances of conception. Many rely on BTT scores to determine if the pregnancy has taken place and how it develops. This method is effective (including with double, triple), but only in the early stages - from the second trimester, more modern and reliable diagnostic methods are available.
The basal temperature during pregnancy can have the following indicators.
- A completed pregnancy. If fertilization occurs, after ovulation, until the menstruation is delayed, an increase in basal temperature is observed, which will continue to be high. This is due to the effect of progesterone. If the monthly does not occur, and the temperature value has decreased, it indicates a cyclical failure. The rate of basal temperature in early pregnancy is between 37-37.5 ° C.
- Fading pregnancy. If the fact of conception is established, but there is a sharp decrease in BT during early pregnancy, which then remains at the same level, this indicates the death of the embryo.
- Ectopic pregnancy . Most often in the early stages such cases do not affect the basal temperature and the schedule corresponds to a developing pregnancy.
- Risk of miscarriage . Often, progesterone deficiency causes miscarriage, as indicated by low basal temperature, both before and after the delay. If blood shedding appears at the same time, you need to sound the alarm and seek medical help.
A number of factors can affect the schedule of basal temperature during pregnancy, so it should be only an auxiliary, and not the main method of monitoring the state of health during this period.