Monthly in women of childbearing age, occur monthly. What if you find black discharge instead of menstruation? Of course, such a change can not be ignored and should promptly consult a gynecologist.
Factors that cause menstrual disorders
The menstrual cycle is a characteristic red vaginal discharge that mixes with the vaginal secretions and is released to the surface. The cycle time should not exceed 5 days. The amount of discharge should not exceed 50 ml, while they should be allocated evenly throughout the time.
Sometimes hormonal disruptions occur in the female body. The result may be a black tint. What factors may affect such changes?
The main factors of menstrual disorders
In many ways, the amount of menstrual blood depends on whether the woman is having sex or not. Those of us with whom it is not regular, or completely absent, are more often faced with copious secretions, the duration of which may exceed 7 days.
Often the following factors play an important role in the appearance of black color:
- Age of the woman. In young women, profuse bleeding is associated with the fact that hormonal background has not yet been established. When it is adjusted, the amount of discharge will come to the appropriate rate. In women of “balzak age,” the amount of blood secreted can dramatically decrease, and this is more often associated with menopause and subsequent menopause.
- Surgical intervention. In some types of female surgeries, copious effects can be side effects.
- Changes in external factors can also affect women's health. These include a general change in lifestyle, such as an abrupt climate change, deterioration of nutrition or diet, severe stress and physical exertion, taking certain medications as a result of injuries or surgery, bad habits and food poisoning associated with them.
- Disease of venereal and infectious diseases of the reproductive system.
- Metabolic disorders associated with weight gain (including pregnancy), and others.
Age of the woman and the appearance of black discharge
The menstrual cycle begins in adolescence, starting at 10 years and later. During the year, while menstrual function is established, adolescents may observe dark brown (black) discharge in their menstruation. The number of periods can also be abundant or scarce. This is quite normal.
However, if such phenomena are observed for a long time and are accompanied by severe pain in the lower abdomen, fainting, you should immediately contact a gynecologist.
In women after 40 years of age, black discharge during the menstrual cycle may indicate a decline in ovarian function. The fact is that lately gynecologists have noted cases of early onset of menopause in women of childbearing age 38-40 years.
Due to the frequent disruption of hormonal background and interruptions of pregnancy at an earlier age, the onset of early menopause can later be observed.
The relationship between the sexual life of women and black secretions instead of menstruation
If a woman has a regular sex life, is not protected and plans to become pregnant, she can observe a delay in the cycle. In the future may begin scanty black. The reasons for such phenomena may be several.
First, pregnancy. In order to verify this, it is necessary to do a pregnancy test and analysis for hCG.
If the pregnancy test is positive, then such phenomena are considered permissible and may indicate a lack of hormones necessary to maintain pregnancy. However, if such signs are observed for quite a long time, it makes sense to consult a gynecologist. There is a very high risk of abortion due to an increase in progesterone level, which can later lead to miscarriage.
Ectopic pregnancy can also be the cause of such secretions. Therefore, at the first signs of these phenomena, one should not postpone the visit to the doctor indefinitely.
Secondly, severe hypothermia of the female genital organs can lead to similar phenomena. Especially often they are observed in the transitional season. Women, who often do not keep track of what they wear as underwear and in what kind of weather, put themselves at risk of chilling the genitals. As a result, they can observe in themselves the consequences of such negligence in the form of severe itching, black discharge instead of menstruation, severe pain in the lower abdomen, as well as during urination.
If you do not take the necessary measures in a timely manner, you can get inflammation of the appendages, uterus and cervix.
In the future, such women will be hard to get pregnant and carry the child.
Thirdly, infection with sexually transmitted diseases such as chlamymia, gonorrhea, trichomoniasis, syphilis, and others, can also cause dark discharge.
Fourthly, taking medications that can cause hormonal failure. If it was found that black discharge instead of menstruation is not related to pregnancy or the other reasons listed above, then you should pay attention to what contraceptives you use. Many of them can disrupt the relationship between the hormones of estrogen and progesterone. As a result, hormonal failure occurs, and the woman is faced with similar phenomena.
If a woman does not lead a sex life, but also observes dark discharge, the reasons may be as follows:
- Sharp drops in weight. If a woman loses weight sharply or recovers, the hormonal background does not have time to rebuild and the necessary amount of hormones is not produced. As a result, she begins to have severe cramps in the lower abdomen and in the uterus, with abundant or meager bleeding.
- Inadequate nutrition. A woman should eat varied. Due to the lack of essential nutrients, the endocrine system most often suffers, which can lead to anemia. As a result, the reproductive system produces a small amount of hormones, the secretions become very scarce and have a black color.
- Severe infectious diseases. Often a woman will not know this too quickly, because many of them wear a hidden uniform. By black discharge, it can be determined that a woman may be the carrier of some of them. Therefore, contact the clinic in a timely manner and submit the necessary blood and smear tests to confirm or deny such suspicions.
- The presence of such diseases as an ovarian cyst can also cause such phenomena during menstruation.
- Regular abortions and miscarriages.
As you have noticed, there are enough reasons for concern. They can be both pleasant (pregnancy), and completely unpleasant. In any case, do not self-medicate, and contact the antenatal clinic, go through a full examination and timely treat.