Women begin to worry when there is no menstruation, the test is negative. The reasons are sometimes trivial - careless, negligent attitude to their health.
Of course, delay is not fertilization of the egg. But, if in the morning hours the mammary glands are nauseous and hardened, then it is worth checking, to pass a pregnancy test.
Despite the fact that a strong desire to have children brings many women to fanaticism, but unjustified hopes lead to nervous breakdowns, but it is better to visit a doctor right away. It is important to identify the causes of the breach at an early stage.
Menstruation and the menstrual cycle - what is it?
Menstrual cycle - an integral component of a fragile organism, a natural process with a duration throughout the reproductive age. Critical days begin in girls at 12-14 years old and up to 55 years in women.
Menstruation - the first day of the new cycle. It comes with bloody secretions as the inner layer of the uterus is rejected, which indicates the absence of fertilization. If the next menstruation does not come on schedule, then you can suspect pregnancy.
If the test is negative, then the reasons are different. From the pathological development of pregnancy to other serious health problems.
Cyclicity of menstruation depends on the hormonal background of women. The cycle time is a certain number of days.
In the composition - 3 phases:
1 phasewith the beginning of the development of the egg, becoming a mature individual.
- 2 phase, falling in the middle of the cycle with the arrival of ovulation, preparation of the genitals for a possible conception.
- 3 phase with the rejection of the enometrial layer, a decrease in the level of estrogen, the arrival of regular menstrual periods.
Features of the cycle:
- In the first days of the cycle, a steady increase in the level of estrogen is observed, the growth of the endometrium in the uterine cavity. A high probability of fertilization of the egg occurs in the middle of the cycle - 12-14 days, when ovulation occurs. The ovum fully matures, exits the ovary. This is the most favorable period for the onset of conception as the yellow body forms at the site of the previously residing egg cell. Fertilization should be in the fallopian tube. Pregnancy begins to develop directly in the uterus.
- The normal duration of the cycle is 28-32 days. As a rule, should be the same monthly. The countdown of the new cycle begins on the 1st day of the arrival of menstruation, and it is not difficult for women to calculate.
- A delay of 2-3 days is considered a delay. Of course, no need to get upset at such a shift. The reason for the negative test may be an insufficient level of human chorionic gonadotropin after the fertilized egg reaches the walls of the reproductive organ.
- Independently provoking factors for delaying menstruation over 7 or more days women should see a doctor. Perhaps an ultrasound, other diagnostic methods.
The role of menstruation for women
Monthly - discharge of blood from the vagina. Normally come once a month with a duration of 3-5 days. The beginning of the month - the first day of the cycle. This is a completely natural process in the period of puberty, a complex modification that prepares for a possible pregnancy, subsequent delivery.
In the aggregate, the process is called the menstrual cycle. The average is - 26-28 days should be stable, with the same number of days every month.
Permissible deviation of cyclicity for several days due to:
- the course of the inflammatory process,
- transfer operations,
- stress nerves.
Main loop controller
Main loop controller- This is the cerebral cortex and even with healthy genitals minor deviations of the menstrual cycle are possible.
In particular, cyclical changes affect: pituitary, hypothalamus, hormonal glands.
The role of the hypothalamus - management of the cerebral cortex, which contains a special pocket, starting to release gonadotropin, which gives a signal to release other hormones in turn.
The menstrual cycle is a complex process. All hormones are closely interdependent. If there is an accelerated production of some, then at the same time - a significant decline in others.
It happens that menstruation starts early, when the cycle in general is less than 21 days. The reason is the short duration of the corpus luteum phase, the lack of progesterone to the blood. Doctors do not consider this a deviation from the norm. If such a violation is repeated from month to month, it is better to appear to specialists, to be examined.
Causes of menstrual disorders
In pursuit of the perfect figure, burning extra pounds often the girls and women experience a hormonal failure, delayed menstruation from 5 days to 2 months.
But the causes of violations may be different:
- moving to another country, to a new place of residence,
- abrupt climate change that can lead the body to confusion with adaptation for several days in the form of delayed menstruation,
- the development of an inflammatory infection in the body,
- gynecological pathology,
- degenerative processes in the pelvic area,
- abortion with excessive curettage of the uterus together with the embryo,
- forced abortion,
- abuse of drugs, hormonal drugs, causing imbalance,
- infectious diseases (candidiasis, thrush) with a monthly delay of up to 2-3 weeks,
- lack of ovulation as a prerequisite for the development of infertility,
- frequent use of contraceptive hormones,
- lactation period
- early menopause after 40 years
- development of a benign tumor in the pituitary gland.
A slight delay in menstruation in girls during the formation of hormonal levels is quite normal. In other cases, after balancing the level of hormones delayed menstruation is a reason to appear gynecologist.
Often, it is forced intervention in the nature of the female body leads to menstrual dysfunction. It will take time to restore hormonal balance. In women after 45 years, there is a decline in ovarian function, which can also provoke a delay of up to 15-16 days.
If a woman keeps her menstrual cycle under control, then it is easy to notice the violation. Many immediately resort to a pregnancy test.
In case of a negative verdict, a hormonal imbalance can be suspected if a sharp deviation of the cycle from the usual schedule for the arrival of critical days over 1 week is observed.
Of course, in most cases, the delay in menstruation is pregnancy.
Monthly Delay - Causes
The first sign is pregnancy. Women should listen to their body. If menstruation does not come according to the calendar, then you need to buy a rapid test and check.
With a negative verdict, you can wait another 2-3 days and re-check. After all, the test often turns out to be defective, or the test was performed too early.
The downside of most drugs are side effects. Often drugs cause severe intoxication, subsequently causing complications of the kidneys and liver. To prevent the side effects of such drugs, we want to pay attention to special phytoampons. Read more here.
It happens that the cause of the delay in menstruation is pregnancy, and the immersion of the test strip in the urine was simply insufficient, which led to a false result. It is better to carry out procedures since morning (1 half day). When buying it is important to check the expiration date of the test, at the opening - the packaging for integrity.
Today, hypersensitive tests with the ability to detect hCG pregnancy as early as 2-3 days after a monthly delay can be found. But it is still recommended to test again after another 5 days, if the test is negative with a delay of menstruation.
Diseases of the reproductive, endocrine system can provoke a delay. Failure of the menstrual cycle is ovarian dysfunction, a modification of the adrenal glands of the thyroid gland.
The reasons for the delay of periods of 3,4,6,10 and more days may be different:
genetic predispositionif women in the female line have similar phenomena in relatives,
- abrupt climate changethat can lead to a failure of hormonal regulation, adversely affect the menstrual cycle,
- temperature rise with colds.
There is a delay, but the test is negative - causes
Women should think about the reasons if there was no unprotected sexual intercourse for the last month, and the days of the menstrual cycle are counted correctly.
The main reasons for the delay:
Reception OK (oral contraceptives).Due to the use of hormonal contraceptives that can provoke a failure of the periodicity of the cycle. Women need to understand - the use of drugs to protect themselves from unwanted pregnancy is meaningless. Only a few days per month are considered dangerous - 3-5 days before ovulation, 1 day after the egg leaves the ovarian cavity. OK often lead to a delay in menstruation, a negative test. Reception provokes a failure of reproductive functions in general, a strong suppression of ovulation, and even after discontinuation of drugs the body can recover for a long time, up to 3-4 months. During the intake of contraceptive drugs, the action of the ovarian functions is suppressed, and only after the drug is discontinued, the work of the hormonal and female reproductive organs begins to gradually improve.
The postponed diseases can make hormones jump, especially in the last month.This is a common cause of cycle failure when there is a delay in menstruation, but there is no pregnancy and the test is negative. It is mainly marked against the background of the effects of the disease, when menstruation begins to come after a delay. It can also be caused by oncology (cervical cancer), other female diseases (endometriosis, adnexitis, adenomyosis, polycystic ovary, uterine myoma).
- Hormonal disbalance, prevents the timely arrival of ovulation, when the chances of conception are sharply reduced, monthly come irregularly. The cause may be polycystic ovary syndrome or an excess amount of insulin in the body.
- After childbirth, when there is a hormonal imbalance in the recovery period of reproductive functions when breastfeeding a baby. It is precisely the attachment of the child to the breast that leads to the suppression of ovulation. Monthly should be normalized, and the hormonal level should be stabilized after the transfer of the infant to artificial feeding or the end of the lactation period. In the blood of a nursing mother, the hormone becomes predominant - lactocin, which is able to produce lactation and retard the arrival of menstruation. If the woman who has given birth does not breastfeed the baby, the cycle should recover in 2-3 months after giving birth.
- Weight problems when a woman should turn to nutritionists for the selection of an acceptable daily diet, diet, contributing to the solution of the problem, the settlement of the menstrual cycle.
Stressalso negatively affects the hormonal background, many systems in the body. This is a common cause of delayed menstruation if the woman is not pregnant. Experiences can lead to the absence of menstruation, a delay of up to 2 weeks. Of course, regardless of the situation, you should control yourself, avoid nervous breakdowns, and negative effects on your menstrual background. Frequent emotional experiences lead to a failure of the functions of the ovary and uterus. The phenomenon can become permanent, intrusive. If you eliminate the nervous condition, then the menstrual cycle should return to normal in 1-2 weeks.
- Polycystic, often leads to a delay in menstruation in women, regardless of age. A hormone-dependent tumor is dangerous, as is a neoplasm fraught with sterility, irregular arrivals of the menstrual cycle, the development of endometriosis.
What if there is a delay, but the test is negative?
If the test twice shows a negative result, then it is worth visiting a gynecologist. The doctor will hold a consultation, vyvit true causes that led to a violation of the menstrual cycle. In case of detection of an insufficient amount of progesterone, the drug Duphaston may be prescribed, in particular for endometriosis.
Women need to fight obesity, but also you can not starve yourself and arrange exhausting workouts in the gym, resort to hard low-calorie diets. It is important to dose physical exercises to dose.
If the reason for the lack of menstruation is to deplete the body, then it will be necessary to normalize a balanced diet, include extremely healthy foods in the diet.
The main thing is to identify the true causes of delayed menstruation at the initial stage, if the pregnancy test is negative.
What can not be ignored:
- lower abdominal pain (left, right),
- mucus rich discharge instead of bloody,
- discharge whiter.
Pulls the stomach during ectopic pregnancy. Additionally, dizzy, nauseous. Signs are similar to normal pregnancy. However, the delay in menstruation should in no way be accompanied by painful symptoms. Often, pain in the abdomen in the absence of menstruation - a sign of gynecological diseases.
Prevention of menstrual failure
Prevention consists in attentive, careful attitude of women to their health, paying attention to even insignificant failures of the cycle.
Beneficial effects on the body, strengthen the immune system will help herbal infusions (flax, sage linden), which must be taken during the period of 6-15 days of the menstrual cycle. However, one should not neglect the advice of doctors, in particular, to use phytotherapy as the main treatment for the failure of menstruation cycle.
Doctors strongly advise:
attend female consultation at least once a year,
- keep a calendar of arrival of the month
- watch your weight
- have a good rest
- streamline sex life, make regular,
- to eat healthy
- Do not use contraceptives without the need.
Often, girls at a young age with a negative test, delayed menses begin to panic.
But you need to clarify, buy a test and check. If pregnancy is excluded, it is best to consult a gynecologist at an early stage.
What is not recommended?
Delay of menstruation, test negative - cause for concern.
But there are ways to which it is better not to resort:
- To use the methods of traditional medicine to cause menstruation can not. Some medicinal plants can strengthen uterine contractions, lead to endometrial rejection.
- It is not recommended for women to rest on dill, parsley in large volumes, just to stimulate the arrival of menstruation. Also, ascorbic acid is an excellent stimulant, but it is always better to consult a specialist for advisability of use.
Delay of menstruation - a frequent occurrence in women of any age. The main thing is to identify the reasons for the deviation. In the absence of menstruation over 7-8 days with a negative test, the cause may indicate the development of a serious disease.
What is best for female diseases?
The downside of most drugs, including those described in this article, is side effects. Often, drugs greatly harm the body, subsequently causing complications of the kidneys and liver.
To prevent the side effects of such drugs, we want to draw attention to the special phytoampons BEAUTIFUL LIFE.
In their composition there are natural healing herbs - it gives tremendous effects of cleansing the body and restoring women's health.
Read more about how this drug helped other women read here in our article on phytoampons.
What is a monthly delay?
Each woman has an individual cycle. Moreover, even for the same girl, the duration of the menstrual cycle may differ. As a rule, this period lasts from 26 to 32 days. If menstruation does not occur in due time, there is a delay in menstruation. Usually such a phenomenon says about the onset of pregnancy. But in some situations with a delay, the test may show a negative result. If such a phenomenon happens only once, then you should not worry too much. However, in case of regular failures that do not entail pregnancy, it is recommended to consult a doctor to determine the cause of this phenomenon.
Delayed pregnancy symptoms
Sometimes a woman, having made a pregnancy test after several days of delay, can see a negative result. At the same time, he feels drowsiness, nausea in the mornings, a change in taste preferences, a worsening of the sense of smell, that is, signs of pregnancy.
First you need to re-do the test, while using a test strip from another company. The tests have different sensitivity, the shelf life of the product may come to an end. Yes, and defective tests are not uncommon. If the test is again negative, and the menstruation does not start, then in this case it is necessary to undergo some tests to verify the presence or absence of the pregnancy.
The analysis of hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) is mandatory, the amount of which increases during pregnancy, as well as an ultrasound of the uterus and appendages.You also need to visit your gynecologist. He will give an exact answer to the question: is there a pregnancy or is it not? If it has come, then by the end of the fourth week of delay it can already be determined by inspection.
Ectopic pregnancy is very dangerous. With this condition, usually the monthly does not occur, the test can be negative. At the same time, pain in the lower abdomen is felt. By the end of 4 weeks of delay, this condition is very dangerous. If you do not take urgent measures, it can end with serious consequences, even death.
The reasons for the delay in the negative test
The menstrual cycle directly depends on two vital systems of the body. This is the reproductive and endocrine systems. If the cycle failed, it means there was a problem with one of them. The reasons for this condition may be several:
- Diseases of the endocrine system. These are diseases of the thyroid gland, adrenal glands, hypothalamo-pituitary system.
- Diseases of the reproductive system. Inflammatory diseases of the uterus, appendages, tumors, hypoplasia (thinning) of the uterus epithelium, polycystic ovary, endometriosis.
- Psychological stress - stress, depression.
- Insufficient or overweight. This may be due to a very strict diet or anorexia disorder.
- Heavy physical labor and intense athletic activity. Very often, these problems are in women who are professionally involved in sports.
- Age changes - a climax. This is a normal phenomenon, which may come a little earlier than the due date.
- Change of time zone or place of residence.
- Childbirth and breastfeeding. Restoration of the cycle usually occurs several months after cessation of lactation.
- Some common diseases of the body (for example, anemia).
- Acceptance of certain drugs (including contraceptives).
Surveys that need to be carried out in case of delayed monthly
If a woman visited a doctor and made sure that the pregnancy did not come, then she needs to undergo a series of examinations to determine the cause of this condition.
Usually in such cases, prescribe:
- hormone tests,
- Ultrasound of the reproductive organs,
- tests for STDs,
- clinical analyzes
- consultations of the therapist, endocrinologist, other specialists,
- MRI or tomography.
After identifying the cause of the failure in the body, the doctor will prescribe the appropriate treatment. It must be remembered that the regular cycle is an indicator of women's health.
Sometimes to normalize it is enough to change the way of life:
- change the diet,
- have a good rest
- avoid stress and physical fatigue.
If frequent periods of menstruation occur, this may entail negative consequences for the body. This is especially true of birthless women and those who are planning a pregnancy. With this irregular cycle, it is not easy to determine ovulation. Inattention to their health can lead to infertility.
Not pregnant and not in menopause - what is the reason
In situations where there is no menstruation and the test is negative, you should not immediately exclude a possible pregnancy. It is possible that the conception did happen. In order to verify this or disprove this fact, the test must be carried out again, but after a few days.
In addition to pregnancy, the reasons for the delay are many. Some are due to the development of serious pathology, others are caused by external factors.
The reason for the delay in menstruation with a negative test, not related to the disease, may be as follows:
- cycle violation after childbirth. Intensive production of prolactin leads to the fact that the monthly disappear for a long time,
- problems with weight, adherence to a strict diet, improperly organized diet,
- climate change,
- exhausting physical exertion and overwork,
- susceptibility to stress, recent diseases,
- taking certain medications that provoke the failure of the body's hormonal background.
The delay, which is noted once, does not always indicate the presence of pathology and threatens with serious complications. If the cycle failure is repeated, then the doctor should determine the cause.
The reasons for the absence of menstruation may be as follows:
- thyroid disease,
- hormonal disorders,
- abortive activities performed
- ovarian dysfunction,
- inflammatory processes of the genitourinary system,
- ectopic pregnancy,
- tumors in the uterus, ovaries.
How to accurately confirm the absence of pregnancy
It often happens that menstruation does not begin, but the test is negative. At the same time, it is extremely important to determine whether there really was no conception. The simplest solution is to repeat the test after a week. If he shows a negative result, then most likely there is no pregnancy.
Testing is necessary in the morning. When a barely noticeable second strip appears, the test is called doubtful. The result is considered conditionally positive - and a large delay may be caused by pregnancy. To clarify this information you need to consult a doctor.
It is possible to reveal the fact of conception in the early stages using ultrasound. In addition, women need to donate blood for hCG (pregnancy hormone) and urine tests. Only with a full examination will be able to confirm the absence of pregnancy or its presence.
At home, successful fertilization can be determined according to the following criteria:
- the basal temperature mark gets higher
- chest swells,
- the mood is constantly changing
- mucous genitalia and vagina become bluish color,
- appear pain in the abdomen.
What delays require the attention of doctors
The problem, when the test shows one strip, but no monthly, does not always require an urgent solution. In some cases, this is considered normal. For example, if there are no monthly periods of 3-5 days, then there is no reason to panic. The delay repeated every month should cause concern. If a woman is worried about severe pain in the abdomen, it is possible that an urgent hospitalization will be needed.
Frequent delays indicate abnormalities in the body that need to be identified and corrected in a timely manner. Frequently, life-threatening conditions are the cause of regular cycle failures: tumors in the reproductive organs and ectopic pregnancy.
The long delay of menstruation (for example, there is no monthly 2 months) should not be ignored with a negative pregnancy test. Against this background, more serious problems may arise. It is possible that in the future we will need treatment of infertility, diseases of the cardiovascular system. In its advanced form, such failures can lead to early menopause and the development of diabetes.
Medical consultation is needed in such cases:
- severe pain in the lower abdomen,
- scanty periods after a delay or very heavy discharge,
- cycle failure for more than 35 days,
- appearance of brown discharge with an unnatural odor,
- pain during intimacy
- nausea and vomiting,
A one-time delay is not a concern. If violations are observed constantly, the consultation of a gynecologist is definitely needed.
What to do if there is a delay
When there is a slight delay in menstruation, the test is negative and nothing hurts, then there is no reason to visit a gynecologist. You just need to make a test test after a few days. A short failure is not dangerous and is considered a variant of the norm.
It is recommended to resort to the use of several tests issued by different manufacturers at once. Thus it will be possible to minimize the probability of obtaining a false-negative result.
If the test is negative, but the monthly does not come on time and the delay is more than 10 days, medical consultation is necessary.
It is strictly forbidden to cause menstruation. These actions can lead to bleeding and aggravation of the general condition of the body. The cycle of sex hormones is controlled, which can only be influenced by medical preparations. The doctor selects them after a complete diagnosis. With timely initiated therapy, the cycle can be restored in a short time.
For violations of reproductive function, regardless of the cause of their occurrence, a thorough examination is carried out. If the test is negative, a blood test for hCG is taken to eliminate the possibility of pregnancy. An ultrasound examination of the pelvic organs helps to identify the possible cause. It is possible that a woman will need to keep a basal temperature calendar for an accurate picture.
If you suspect a violation of hormonal background consultation is necessary endocrinologist. The cycle will be restored immediately after the treatment of the main pathology. Having identified provoking factors, they are immediately eliminated.
In some cases, it is sufficient to correct the diet and observe the regime of the day. It is imperative to stop smoking and drinking alcohol in order to quickly restore the cycle.
The absence of menstruation in due time is not always a sign of pregnancy. First of all, you need to make a test and exclude the probability of conception. When you receive a negative result is required to seek help from a gynecologist. Only an experienced doctor, after carrying out all the necessary diagnostic measures, will be able to identify the cause of the failure of the menstrual cycle and quickly restore reproductive function.
The principle of the pregnancy test
Today, pharmacies offer women a huge assortment of various tests for determining pregnancy: from the cheapest to the most expensive. However, they are based on the same principle of action - the reaction to the hormone hCG. This substance is a developing embryo begins to produce in the maternal blood after a few days after fertilization. In other periods, the woman's body practically does not produce it (the hormone content is minimal). The level of hCG in the blood of a pregnant woman is steadily increasing and reaches its maximum by week 8–9, after which it gradually decreases.
In the female urine, this hormone is slightly later than in the blood. Approximately this happens at a time when monthly periods should begin. There is a delay - a woman makes a test, which records an increased level of hCG in the form of a second strip that has appeared.
Under the influence of the hormone hCG in the female urine, a second strip appears on the test.
However, the duration of the menstrual cycle is of great importance: it can be shorter or longer. In the first case, the test may not show the pregnancy immediately after the delay, in the second - to fix it even before the expected menstruation.
Modern tests have a very high degree of accuracy. The higher the sensitivity of the test (from 10 to 25 MME / ml), the, accordingly, the earlier the period at which it will show pregnancy. The main thing is to carry out home diagnostics correctly, strictly following the instructions on the package. Thus, it is necessary to immerse the strip in the urine strictly up to the intended line, and the waiting time for the result should not exceed 5 minutes (later, under the influence of sunlight and other factors, the result may be distorted).
As for the interaction with urine, in this regard, tablet and inkjet tests are more convenient. The first have a window where you need to drip the liquid, and the second is placed directly under the stream. There are also electronic tests with replaceable cartridges that can even show the specific duration of pregnancy (most of them are inkjet).
The test strips will be immersed in urine, the jet strips will be submerged under the stream, and for the tablet ones a couple of drops of liquid will suffice.
Possible causes of a negative delay test
Lack of monthly periods in due time with a negative test can be caused by a variety of reasons. In some cases, in the female body, the birth of a new life takes place, which so far simply does not manifest itself. Another situation is a short-term failure under the influence of external or internal factors. And the most serious case is pathological diseases that may in one degree or another pose a threat to health.
Relatively safe reasons
Sometimes the delay of menstruation occurs as a reaction to an external or internal stimulus, or to natural changes in a woman’s body:
- Postpartum delay. After childbirth in the maternal organism, the level of prolactin increases and active production of breast milk begins. At the same time, hormones responsible for ovulation are suppressed, so a woman will have no monthly periods for several months. When the cycle resumes, the first time may well be delays. Even if the mother does not breastfeed the baby, lactation does not stop immediately, and the regular menstrual cycle is established only when hormones return to normal.
- Sharp climate change. This may be due to travel or tourist travel. Plays a role including a long stay under the scorching rays of the sun.
- Improper diet, leading to rapid weight gain, or, conversely, a dramatic weight loss due to a debilitating diet. In the latter case, the amount of adipose tissue decreases, and it has a certain value in the synthesis of estrogen, which is responsible for ovulation. As a result, delays may occur. In obesity, the excessive accumulation of estrogen also negatively affects the cycle.
- Chronic fatigue, too intense workouts in the gym, just great exercise. Under such circumstances, the body seems to suspend its reproductive program - again, ovulation is blocked, and monthly periods are delayed.
- Shifted stress.
- Injuries or diseases accompanied by a long recovery period (someone may have such effects as ordinary flu or ARVI).
- Individual reaction of the body to the reception of a drug (hormonal, psychotropic drugs). A certain oral contraceptive may not be suitable for a woman - as a result, there are delays (up to 20 days). In this case, the pill must be changed.
- Intoxication as a result of food or drug poisoning.
- Bad habits: use of cigarettes, alcohol, drugs.
- Climax. Before menopause, women often fix delays in themselves, and this is quite normal, signaling the extinction of the childbearing function. In rare cases, it is observed even up to 40 years old - early menopause.
Photo Gallery: Safe causes of menstruation delay
In almost all the cases listed, a woman needs to simply change her lifestyle: for example, adjust nutrition, relax more, avoid stressful situations, abandon addiction, etc. (of course, we are not talking about menopause and postpartum delay).
In my case, for example, before the birth, the cycle was always lost as a result of a trip to the sea. And there was an interesting pattern: if the “critical days” were supposed to start during their stay in the south, they always started there much earlier. And if I came home, there was always a delay of about a week. After the birth of the child, such situations no longer arose: the body began to work like a clock - no delays, even from climate change.
Causes of delay associated with the disease
If delays of menstruation are recorded repeatedly, all the more they are accompanied by deterioration of general well-being, suspicious secretions, pains in the abdomen, this may signal gynecological and other pathologies:
- Polycystic ovary syndrome. This disease, associated with hormonal disorders, can provoke delays for a period of 1-3 weeks (sometimes even amenorrhea occurs - menstrual periods stop altogether). The woman has concomitant symptoms: excessive hair growth over the upper lip, on the arms, abdomen (male hormones are elevated), hair and skin become greasy (acne appears as a result), excess weight accumulates. The most dangerous thing is that if untreated, infertility occurs.
- Inflammatory processes in the reproductive organs. They are caused by various microorganisms, the most common of which are staphylococci, streptococci, trichomonads, Candida fungi. Inflammation can, for example, the ovaries or appendages - while the woman fever, appear white discharge, lower abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting may occur. Candidiasis usually affects the vagina and is characterized by characteristic itching and cheesy discharge.
- Uterine fibroids. This benign tumor makes itself felt delays, prolonged and abundant menstruation, non-menstrual bleeding, pain in the lower abdomen, bleeding during sexual intercourse. However, in some cases, the symptoms may be almost absent.
- Endometriosis. In this disease, endometrial tissue grows in various places, in addition to the uterus itself (it can also affect its deep muscular layers - adenomyosis). The disease manifests itself in the form of delays, abdominal pain, brown discharge before and after menstruation. In some cases, this pathology causes difficulties in conceiving and carrying a child.
- Oncological changes in the reproductive organs.
- Гипоплазия эндометрия. If a woman has an abnormally thin endometrium in the uterus (due to lack of estrogen or scarring and adhesions due to past infections, abortions), delays and scanty periods (lasting less than three days) become commonplace. Without treatment, pregnancy with this pathology is impossible.
- Ovarian cyst. The simplest case is its follicular type: the follicle, having reached a certain size, does not burst, releasing a mature egg, but continues to grow, turning into a cyst. Very often, such education subsequently self-absorbing. However, there are more complicated cases - these are benign and malignant tumors that already require surgical removal.
- Pituitary adenoma. This pathology, in addition to the delay of menstruation, is accompanied by skin rashes, headaches, nausea. In addition, a woman’s nose increases, the bite and shape of the eyebrows changes.
- Cystitis. This disease can affect the functioning of the ovaries, which causes cycle disruptions. After treatment, problems usually disappear.
- Anemia. If the level of hemoglobin decreases significantly, then the body tries to save blood: it works already for survival, and not for continuation of the race. In anemic girls, menstruation comes with delays and is very scanty, often they stop altogether.
Photo gallery: diseases associated with delayed menstruation
From these pathologies, before birth I ran into an ovarian cyst. When the delay was two weeks (with the usual stable cycle), I went to the doctor. Ultrasound revealed a follicular cyst. The gynecologist prescribed a progesterone injection to induce menses. But I did not have time to do it (I was at work), and in the evening “critical days” came. The following examination showed that there was no cyst anymore.
False Negative Pregnancy Test
In some cases, a negative delay test occurs during a developing pregnancy. At the same time, various symptoms of an “interesting situation” often manifest themselves: nausea, dizziness, chest swelling, drowsiness, etc. There may be several reasons for this state of affairs:
- Incorrect use of dough.
- The use of an expired product, or it was stored incorrectly.
- A short cycle for a woman (namely, his second phase). The level of hCG has not yet reached the rate required for the test, and there is already a delay.
- Irregular cycle. The future mother doesn’t know exactly when she had ovulation (perhaps it happened quite recently, and the embryo just attached in the uterus).
- Excessive fluid intake shortly before the test (the concentration of hCG in the urine will decrease significantly).
- Kidney disease in women, in which the normal secretion of the hormone in the urine is difficult.
A common cause of false-negative tests is an irregular or too short cycle in a woman, for example, when she does not know exactly the day she ovulates
In such situations, the most reasonable solution is to repeat the test after a while (2–3 days), having tried products from different manufacturers, or in the laboratory to take a blood test for HCG.
It was one of the above cases that my friend had. Tests for a very long time gave a negative result, even when the delay was already two weeks. Doubts of the woman and the doctor were resolved by ultrasound, where the fertilized egg was clearly visible. As a result, the gynecologist suggested that, most likely, there was a late ovulation. And the pregnancy was absolutely normal (no fading or ectopic).
Negative test for pathological pregnancy
The most dangerous reason for a false-negative test during pregnancy is its pathological course. We are talking about the fading of the embryo at very early stages or its attachment outside the uterus (the production of hCG is stopped, or it is produced in a reduced amount). If the first case usually ends with abundant menstruation (the woman may not even suspect that she was pregnant), then the second is already a very dangerous condition, which is manifested by the following symptoms:
- Cramping abdominal pain.
- Brownish or bloody discharge.
- General malaise.
Such signs are a reason to immediately contact a gynecologist, who will prescribe an ultrasound scan to clarify the patient's condition.
Ectopic pregnancy often makes itself felt with acute cramping abdominal pain
The reasons for which every month there is a huge delay of the “critical days” may be different. This largely depends on the individual characteristics of the organism. In addition, for the same person, the menstrual cycle can seriously “skip”.
In the absence of pathology, the duration of the cycle varies from 26 to 32 days. If menstruation does not appear in a timely manner, doctors suspect pregnancy. But in some cases, the test with a delay does not show a positive result. When this is observed for the first time, you should not worry. It is necessary to consult a doctor only when a delay of several weeks is observed regularly.
To try to answer the question why there is a delay in menstruation for several weeks, maybe the woman herself. One of the reasons that “critical days” are delayed with a negative test can be body mass fluctuations. If a woman keeps to a diet one time, and then abruptly breaks down, there is an imbalance that affects the hormonal background. The result is a late menstruation.
Often, the delay in menstrual discharge occurs in women who are overweight. If we are talking about 3 degrees of obesity, it makes sense to radically reconsider your lifestyle. Another factor contributing to the delay of menstruation is physical overwork. The risk group includes both women in the workplace and professional athletes.
Climate change is considered to be the main provocateur of delaying emissions for five to ten days. Another factor in this phenomenon is considered by doctors to be severe stress and intellectual fatigue. Very often, the delay in discharge is observed among female students and high school students.
Vitamin E deficiency is another stimulus. But it is not worth attacking food containing this vitamin without a doctor's recommendation. Its excess is as bad as the deficit.
In young ladies, the delay in discharge is due to the fact that their cycle has not yet been settled. In young women who are sexually active, this phenomenon is often caused by an improperly selected or canceled contraceptive. Often this symptom is observed after the abolition of Postinor and Escapel.
The most common pathologies
The delay of “critical days” for more than a month is often caused by a malfunction of the thyroid gland, which is responsible for the production of hormones. In the case of young ladies, this condition is not considered pathological. But if a delay of about a month and a half with a negative test is observed in a woman of reproductive age, it makes sense to appear to the gynecologist and endocrinologist.
Another factor provoking this condition is the development in the internal organs of the inflammatory process. In the worst case, we can talk about the growth of tumors. With such a diagnosis, not only negative, but also a false positive test result can be probable.
Often, delays in “critical days” are observed in young women with polycystic ovary syndrome. The diagnosis is made only after internal consultation in the gynecological office. About polycystic ovary syndrome signals such signs as:
- having extra kilos
- greasy hair and skin,
- intensive hair growth in the groin, above the lip, on the lower limbs, in the armpits.
The clinical sign indicating the development of this pathology is an increase in the blood level of the male hormone testosterone. Its excess contributes to the violation of the menstrual cycle. The danger is that a woman can become barren. If the level of this substance is very high, ovulation disappears.
Fortunately, this pathology is successfully cured. Usually, the doctor prescribes oral contraceptives for the patient.
Another reason for the long delay of “critical days” is the disruption of the functioning of the ovaries. Usually such a diagnosis is made to young ladies in the event that a delay is observed within five days. The main cause of this condition is almost always the thyroid disease. Also we can talk about the disease of the endocrine system. If you suspect ovarian dysfunction, the doctor prescribes an ultrasound for his patient:
A woman may be assigned a brain tomography.
If the “critical days” linger much, we can talk about the progression of gynecological pathologies. The development of adenomyosis and uterine fibroids often impair the functioning of the ovaries. In the worst case, it’s about development:
- cancer of the body and cervix.
Another provocateur may be the inflammatory process that occurs in the female internal genital organs. Inflammation is a problem if there is a delay within five to ten days.
After resolving the burden
Sometimes the delay of menstruation is observed after the successful resolution of the burden. The main provocateur of this condition is an increase in the level of prolactin. It is this hormone that is responsible for the lactation period.
Failure of the menstrual cycle when it can be observed for two to three years. But if the new mother does not feed the baby with “native” milk, then the failure of the cycle will vary from one and a half to two months. Modern physicians are aware of cases when menstruation delay in women who are in the lactation period was observed for 6-8 weeks. This is due to the individual characteristics of the body. The first full cycle begins after the cessation of breastfeeding.
A delay of one month may be due to a recent abortion. If your period does not come too long, we are talking about:
- an abortion,
- hormonal failure,
- traumatizing the uterus during an abortion,
- the course of adhesions,
- the presence of an irregular cycle before abortion,
One of the causes of delayed menstruation is often a vacuum or medical abortion. Often during the operation, the specialist damages the body or cervix. In addition, against the background of abortion various complications are often formed.
Doctors consider the development of adhesions as the most dangerous complication. The appearance of adhesions often leads to uterine adhesion. After an abortion, inflammation of the pelvic organs may develop.
Another reason for the delay is the irregularity of the cycle prior to abortion. The pathological structure of the uterus plays a negative role. If there is a bend, there are often delays of “critical days”.
The main symptom of the approaching menopause is a failure of the menstrual cycle. At the same time, “critical days” may be delayed either for one day or for two or three weeks.
This indicates a normal physiological climax. But sometimes this symptom signals that a dangerous pathological process takes place in the female body. To clarify the reasons, a woman is obliged to contact a gynecologist. Having diagnosed menopausal syndrome, the doctor will prescribe the appropriate treatment.
Sometimes during menopause, there is an alternation of menstruation with acute uterine bleeding. It can also signal the occurrence of a dangerous disease.
Climax can occur not only in women who have crossed the forty-five-year threshold. Medicine has known cases when menopause occurred in young ladies aged 28-35 years. Early treatment will help preserve reproductive function. Otherwise, the girl will not be able to conceive and bear the child.
What to do
If a woman has a delay of 23 days, she is recommended to take a repeated hCG. When the result is zero, the doctor may prescribe Duphaston. With a delay of 22 days, a woman is recommended to take the second b-hCG. If necessary, the analysis shall be submitted for the third time.
I have a delay of exactly one month. I did two tests for hCG: both are negative. There were no delays before, on the contrary, they could have gone 2-3 days earlier. I personally associate the delay with a serious illness just a month ago (there was a flu with a high fever) when I had to take prednisone. Maybe someone also encountered such a problem? Share your experience: is it worth it to wait or should we go to the doctor already? I just hate doctors since childhood
Tactic behavior of women with a delay with a negative test
Of course, if the monthly delay was an episodic case (it arose for the first time in a long time, and then the menstruation began), then you should not worry too much. But if this is repeated more than once, then the woman should not be delayed on a visit to the gynecologist. Also, the reason to visit the doctor is a one-time delay, accompanied by abdominal pain, strange discharge and general malaise.
If cycle failures occur periodically or a one-time delay is accompanied by abdominal pain and pathological secretions, you should definitely go to a gynecologist.
In addition to examining the chair, the doctor will prescribe the necessary studies to find out the cause of the cycle failures (ultrasound, a blood test for hormones, a vaginal smear, a urine test, etc.). Depending on the nature of the revealed pathology, a therapist or an endocrinologist can join the treatment. At the same time, the main task is not to eliminate the delay of menstruation, but the pathological condition that causes them (after this, the cycle will be adjusted).
It is unacceptable to cause monthly folk remedies. This can lead to an exacerbation of the underlying disease and uncontrolled bleeding. The menstrual cycle is controlled by hormones, and it is necessary to act on them extremely carefully - only under the guidance of a doctor.
By itself, the delay in menstruation with a negative test is not hazardous to health - diseases that are manifested by cycle instability may pose a threat. If this situation is repeated periodically, then the woman should definitely contact a gynecologist. Another case is a false-negative test with an existing pregnancy. In this case, the “interesting position” will soon make itself felt anyway.