Insomnia is a painful condition of the body that accompanies various diseases and gives a person a lot of inconvenience. First of all, this is due to the deterioration of physical and emotional health.
It is very difficult for women experiencing premenstrual syndrome (PMS). Insomnia before menstruation aggravates an already unstable condition. At this time, many become irritable and anxious, feel discomfort, weakness, pain, sleep poorly. So the body reacts to changes occurring due to hormonal disorders and impending blood loss.
All causes of insomnia before menstruation.
The danger of insomnia is that it deprives a person of strength and energy. This negatively affects the ability to work and the emotional background. Doctors do not advise to put up with the pathological condition. Modern medicine offers a lot of ways to return the body to recover. The main thing is to identify and eliminate the cause.
Alcohol, coffee, cigarettes and medications have a negative effect on sleep quality. The cause of insomnia before menstruation may be genetic predisposition and uncomfortable surroundings (uncomfortable pillow, stuffy room, hard bed, noise). Everyone who has been diagnosed with allergies, asthma, Parkinson's disease, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and the thyroid gland is not sleeping well. But the main factor provoking premenstrual insomnia is emotional problems.
Stress, depressive states, anxiety, disorders negatively affect the state of the nervous system and deprive a person of the ability to quickly fall asleep and sleep soundly. Insomnia with menstruation also has a psychological focus.
Hormonal adjustment before menstruation affects not only mood, well-being and appearance. Even a healthy woman can have problems falling asleep and intermittent sleep syndrome. Doctors often come across such complaints, so insomnia is considered one of the typical conditions during the monthly cycles.
Insomnia as a symptom of PMS
Usually, insomnia begins to bother 5-7 days before menstruation. This is a very difficult time, since premenstrual syndrome in girls is characterized by a whole complex of physiological changes caused by hormonal disruption. The endocrine, cardiovascular, nervous systems begin to work in a different way. All this is accompanied by physical discomfort and painful sensations in the pelvic region.
Insomnia in PMS deprives the female body of the opportunity to recover and destabilizes the emotional state. Regular lack of sleep causes nervousness, and growing weakness reduces performance.
In addition to the hormonal imbalance, reducing the level of progesterone and testosterone, the woman's body during menstruation loses the necessary amount of nutrients. There is a deficiency of amino acids, vitamins, calcium, glucose and serotonin. This hormone is responsible for the ability to work and mood. With its deficiency, the supply of nerve impulses to the brain is disrupted, which leads to apathy, depression, loss of strength, and rapid fatigue. All these conditions during menstruation cause sleepless nights.
Not always, sleep disturbance before menstruation is solely a symptom of PMS. Often, insomnia is accompanied by serious gynecological pathologies, the presence of which can be found only after an examination and a meeting with a doctor.
We sleep soundly without drugs
Insomnia during menstruation should not be ignored. Constant lack of sleep provokes exacerbation of chronic and the emergence of new diseases. Restore healthy sleep in many ways. Taking sleeping pills is an extreme and undesirable measure. Medications that have a sedative effect are addictive. Possible side effects.
Do not rush to solve the problem with the help of potent and unsafe drugs. Start with a meal and review your daily diet.
With regular insomnia on the eve of your period, your diet needs to be adjusted. Refuse from fried and fat, exclude chocolate and high-calorie products from the menu.
If health allows, with monthly it is completely possible to switch to the consumption of fruits and vegetables, which increase the level of calcium and magnesium in the body. Nutritionists advise to replenish the menu with dried apricots, persimmon, prunes and nuts. Of the drinks are suitable compotes, jelly and fruit drinks. The categorical prohibition applies to coffee and alcohol. These drinks cause nervous irritability and interfere with sleep.
In addition to the correction of nutrition, before menstruation, it is recommended to review the daily regimen and get rid of habits that interfere with healthy sleep:
- give up cigarettes,
- do not limit physical activity: do exercises in the morning and walk before bedtime,
- go to bed at the same time
- air the room
- Avoid conflicting and stressful situations.
Changing lifestyle and giving up unhealthy habits, it will be easy to return to normal sleep before menstruation. It is not necessary to immediately run for sleeping pills and sedatives to the nearest pharmacy. Try to solve the problem yourself. If you fail, consult your doctor. Useful tips and expert advice will help you.
How to calm your nervous system
To improve the quality of sleep before menstruation and live in a normal mode, it is enough to stabilize the hormones and compensate for the deficiency of useful components. When problematic periods are accompanied by physical weakness, soreness, discomfort and insomnia, folk recipes and homeopathic preparations help.
A good way to fight insomnia before menstruation is herbal therapy. Herbs with a soothing effect include chamomile, mint, wormwood, linden, St. John's wort, Ivan-Chai, Melissa and Valerian.
From the vitamin complexes, it is necessary to choose products based on magnesium and water-soluble vitamin B6. These trace elements normalize sugar levels, stop irritability and restore sleep.
A positive effect on health during menstruation is the additional use of group C vitamins, calcium and iron. In the complex, these beneficial substances relieve the symptoms of PMS, returning a full and healthy sleep to a woman.
If the measures and measures do not help, discuss the problem with your doctor. Perhaps the causes of your insomnia are not related to menstruation. In severe cases, when sleep disturbance before menstruation is chronic, more serious therapy is required.
With the onset of menstruation, many ladies, by contrast, note drowsiness. You can learn more about this condition from a separate article on our website.
The concept of premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
PMS is a painful condition that occurs a week before the start of menstruation. For each woman, it manifests itself individually. The syndrome is a complex of functional disorders of the cardiovascular and endocrine systems. Pathology also affects nerve tissue.
The main cause of PMS is a change in the level of hormones in the blood. Estrogen concentration increases. During this period, the female body is preparing for conception. The mood and state of the good, increases sexual desire.
Causes of development
The menstrual cycle - periodic changes in the body of a woman, providing the possibility of conceiving a child. It proceeds unevenly, therefore the state of health also changes. The cause of insomnia can be:
- Changes in the level of monoamine oxidase, as a result of which a woman develops depression.
- The production of serotonin, which is responsible for the stability of the emotional state, decreases.
- Imbalance of hormones.
- Lack of calcium and other minerals, trace elements in the body.
- Improper nutrition. If the menu lacks a sufficient amount of nutrients, the woman appears weak, changing her physical and psychological state.
- Nervous exhaustion, strong emotional outburst, combined with hormonal fluctuations.
An additional negative factor is smoking, drinking alcohol. Before menstruation, the exacerbation of all chronic pathological processes occurs, which may also affect the ability to relax.
Symptoms that indicate sleep problems
Insomnia during menstruation is common. Besides her, the woman has other signs of PMS. All of them are individual in nature, can occur alone or in a complex. List of the most common symptoms:
- general weakness, constant fatigue, drowsiness,
- inhibition of movements, as well as mental reactions,
- acceleration of heart rhythm
- constantly increasing irritability,
- breast augmentation and tenderness
- swelling of limbs, faces,
- dizziness, pain in the head and muscles,
- nausea and vomiting,
- frequent urination,
- pain in the lower back and abdomen,
- change in taste preferences.
The woman has increased sebaceous glands, which can cause acne on the skin. She is in a depressed state.
Insomnia as one of the signs of PMS
Insomnia is one of the obvious signs of PMS. During this period, hormonal changes. For example, decreases the production of serotonin, which is responsible for the emotional state of a person, his performance.
The blood concentration of monoamine oxidase increases.
This leads to a feeling of depression, depression.
The woman constantly has drowsiness, but she cannot rest normally, as hormonal fluctuations negatively affect her physical well-being.
Implications for the body
When insomnia appears on a monthly basis - do not delay the visit to the doctor. If untreated, the woman develops chronic fatigue. If the lack of sleep lasts more than one day, the consequences will be as follows:
- physical and nervous exhaustion,
- mental decline,
- exacerbation of chronic diseases
- the appearance of hallucinations,
- depletion of the body’s energy reserves,
- pathological changes in the brain and internal organs.
To prevent this from happening, insomnia must be fought.
Proper treatment of insomnia
If you experience insomnia with PMS, you should consult with your doctor and be examined to rule out more serious gynecological disorders. Therapy should be comprehensive. First you need to try to fix the problem without pills. If this fails, the doctor will prescribe the appropriate drugs.
If insomnia occurs every month, then you can cope with it with decoctions of herbs. However, previously, this method of therapy must be agreed with the doctor. Such recipes will be useful:
- Tea from lemon balm. It takes 1-2 tsp. dry grass and 1 cup boiling water. It takes 20 minutes to infuse. Further, the liquid is cooled and filtered. Should be taken after each meal. To improve the taste in tea you can add honey.
- Dill. To prepare, take 1 tbsp. l greens or 1 tsp. seeds. Raw materials poured a glass of boiling water. Infuse the liquid for 2 hours. After filtering the drug can be used in half a glass three times a day. Reviews of this tool are good.
- Hop decoction. Need 1 tbsp. l crushed cones pour a glass of boiling water and leave for 15 minutes. The liquid should be cooled and diluted with honey. The agent is taken twice a day for half a glass. The treatment lasts about a month, after which a two-week break is taken.
Also during insomnia helps pumpkin, bananas (anti-stress agent).
If a woman has ovulation, serious changes occur in her body. The menstrual cycle is a major factor in the manifestation of insomnia; you can improve your condition with the help of such tips:
- A few days before or during menstruation, alcohol and caffeine-containing beverages should be abandoned.
- Walking in the open air more often in the evening will help you fall asleep faster.
- Use soothing essential oils.
- Before bed the room needs to be aired.
- Going to bed should be at the same time.
- Eat right, giving up fatty and fried foods.
These measures will help get rid of the problem without drugs.
Prevention of sleep disorders and other manifestations of PMS
Insomnia is a dangerous condition in which the body quickly loses energy. In order to avoid such a situation, it is necessary to observe the following preventive measures:
- take multivitamin preparations
- exercise or exercise
- follow a dietary diet,
- use meditation techniques for relaxation,
- get rid of bad habits: smoking, drinking alcohol,
- drink less caffeine.
PMS is a difficult condition that worsens a woman’s overall well-being. Insomnia is one of the first symptoms of this syndrome. If it is not treated, it can lead to depletion of the body, which is not easy to get rid of. It is better not to allow such a state and to turn to specialists in time.
Premenstrual syndrome and its causes
This state of the female body has a clearly defined wording. The specialized literature gives the following definition: “PMS is a complex set of disorders of the endocrine, nervous, and cardiovascular systems. Usually such symptoms are associated with women with future menstruation. ”
Signs of this condition are usually characterized by increased irritability, physical weakness, discomfort and pain in the pelvic area. Possible changes in sexual desire, increased appetite and insomnia during menstruation.
The causes of pathological deviations from the usual state are quite diverse:
- The first thing to mention is the change in blood balance during this period of the female sex hormones - progesterone and estrogen. These substances are responsible for the maturation of the egg, and the violation of their ratio can cause hormonal failure in the female body.
- You can not discount the decrease in the number of certain trace elements in the patient’s blood even with the monthly amount. Basically it is calcium deficiency. The absence of this necessary for the normal functioning of the body of a substance can cause many diseases and pathological symptoms. Responsible for the normal functioning of the muscular system, the central nervous system and the blood coagulation system, calcium, while reducing, can provoke seizures, pain in the extremities, and pronounced irritability. Insomnia during menstruation may be associated with a decrease in the level of this trace element in the girl’s blood.
- It can be considered very important to reduce the percentage of sugar in the liquid part of the blood of a woman. In the normal state, glucose is responsible for the balance of progesterone and estrogen, contributing to the penetration of the sex hormone into the cell. With low blood sugar, free progesterone increases, which leads to disruption of the central nervous system in the patient, a symptom of which can be insomnia during menstruation.
It should be noted that with the development of premenstrual syndrome, changes occur in various organs and systems of the female body. This is due to the change in the balance of vitamins, amino acids and trace elements during this period.
In order to help the patient overcome these unpleasant signs of the approaching menstruation, both medications and traditional medicine can be used. The main thing is that they help restore harmony in the hormonal sphere, compensate for the loss of vitamins and other beneficial substances.
In this case, we can talk about completely different pathological processes that simply coincided in time. Therapy of these conditions should be independent, it is desirable not to provoke the cross-action of various medications and allergic reactions in women.
What does traditional medicine recommend?
Quite often, young girls turn to gynecologists with the question of whether there can be insomnia during menstruation. It should be noted that this violation of the central nervous system occurs in 60% of patients suffering from PMS.
When a woman notices that it is difficult for her to fall asleep and wake up on critical days, first of all she associates a similar condition with the general growing weakness of the body during this period and the possible loss of liquid blood. It is recommended not to self-medicate, but to seek help from a specialist.
The doctor will be able to identify the causes of insomnia and prescribe appropriate corrective therapy. Disorders of the central nervous system are fraught with serious consequences during pregnancy and childbirth for expectant mothers.
If the cause of this sleep disorder has become menstrual, it is recommended to begin treatment with appropriate medications to help the woman. Наиболее известные средства от бессонницы “Веронал” и “Нитразепам” в настоящее время применяются ограниченно ввиду высокой токсичности и возможного эффекта привыкания.
Аптечная сеть может предложить женщине очищенные вещества с широким спектром действия. First of all it is “Piklodorm” and “Bromizoval”. In addition to the pronounced hypnotic effect, these drugs reduce the excitability of the nervous system and practically do not cause addiction of the patient's body.
In addition to all of the above, vitamins and minerals should be included in the treatment of insomnia. The basis of these sets of useful substances should be magnesium. This trace element stabilizes the amount of sugar in the blood of a woman, relieves swelling of the brain, contributing to the relief of irritability and sleep disorders.
The most effective use of magnesium is in combination with vitamins of group B. When combined, these substances normalize the percentage of estrogen, which allows to reduce the strength of the pathological symptoms of PMS.
Folk remedies for insomnia
In addition to various medications, any woman can use numerous natural factors to stabilize sleep. First you need to adjust your diet. In the daily diet should not be a place of fat and fried foods, high-calorie foods, animal fats must be replaced with vegetable.
In these difficult days, a woman, if her work and lifestyle allow, should completely switch to vegetables, fruits, nuts. Of course, substances that tonic and irritate the nervous system fall under the complete ban.
To stabilize the process of falling asleep, nutritionists recommend prunes and dried apricots to young women. These fruits increase the blood levels of calcium and magnesium. The main tool to combat fruit insomnia is persimmon. During this period, most women are recommended to use orange fruit in their food.
Well help with insomnia and excessive excitability before the monthly soothing teas, where you can optionally add mint, chamomile and lemon balm. Sweeteners should use honey instead of sugar, preferably lime or buckwheat.
Vegetables for insomnia is best to eat a variety of salads based on celery and parsley. Do not forget about the usual seeds. Vitamin E in them helps to normalize sleep.
We recommend reading the article on how to get rid of insomnia during menopause. From it you will learn about the causes of the pathological condition, how to eliminate insomnia, as well as about the effectiveness of traditional medicine methods and medical treatment.
When answering the question why there is insomnia before menstruation, the patient’s attention should be paid not only to the physiological aspects of this problem, but also to her lifestyle. If a woman prefers sitting on a sofa with a book or a tablet, sweet tea and soft buns, then the likelihood of PMS and insomnia during this period is much greater.
An active lifestyle, exercise, sports are pronounced measures to prevent sleep disorders on critical days. Physical exercises dramatically increase the level of endorphins in the patient's blood. Oddly enough, the pain in this case is reduced, and such manifestations of CNS disorders during menstruation, such as irritability and insomnia, almost disappear.
Sleep problems during menstruation require monitoring the condition of a young lady by doctors of different specialties, since in this case problems of gynecologists, psychiatrists and endocrinologists are intertwined. Therefore, any self-medication can lead to the development of complications. If there is a problem, then it is better to solve it with a doctor.
Why there is such a problem
All unpleasant changes that occur with the female body during PMS and during menstruation are connected, first of all, with its unstable hormonal background and imbalance of useful substances during this period. First of all, we are talking about reducing the amount of progesterone and testosterone, which resources are spent on the maturation of the egg. Their deficiency leads to an increase in the level of monoamine oxidase - a substance whose overabundance may cause an unstable emotional state and depression. Hence the possible problems with sleep, disturbing women at this time. In parallel, the level of serotonin, which is responsible, first of all, for a person's good mood, falls.
Also, the causes of insomnia before menstruation are in the deficit of some trace elements in the blood of a woman. The main of them is calcium, which is necessary for the vital activity of the organism as a whole and, which is especially important during the premenstrual syndrome, a stable state of the nervous system. If the level of this substance decreases, the person becomes irritable, nervous and, as a result, suffers from a lack of normal sleep. No less important in this regard is glucose, the amount of which is significantly reduced before menstruation. One of its functions is to ensure the balance of estrogen and progesterone, as well as their penetration from the blood into the cells. With a pronounced deficit of glucose in the nervous system, malfunctions can occur, as a result of which the woman becomes more irritable, anxious and has serious difficulties falling asleep at night.
An insufficient amount of calcium in the body during menstruation may be one of the causes of insomnia.
However, in addition to the completely natural physiological processes occurring in the woman’s body during PMC, the cause of insomnia during this period can be a fairly common gynecological disease - chronic endometriosis. In this case, a constant inflammatory process can provoke a delay in menstruation, although the hormonal shift that precedes menstruation occurs in a timely manner. Thus, the duration of premenstrual syndrome increases, and with it the accompanying symptoms, including irritability, nervousness and lack of normal sleep, are gaining momentum.
What threatens insomnia with PMS
Regular sleep problems that are characteristic of premenstrual syndrome have a negative effect on the physical health of the woman and on her emotional state. This period for the female body is always associated with serious stress, associated primarily with the ongoing hormonal shift. At the same time, general weakness is increasing, which, with the arrival of menstruation, only increases due to blood loss. Accordingly, during this period, a full night’s sleep and rest is especially important, which will help you quickly recover and return to the usual rhythm of life.
Insomnia threatens even more irritability
In addition, due to insomnia during menstruation, irritability, anxiety, nervousness and depression, which already cause women a lot of trouble during this period, can significantly increase. But any violations in the work of the nervous system always have negative consequences that may manifest in the future during pregnancy or childbirth. That is why serious problems with sleep during the ICP and during the menstruation cannot be ignored, treating them as mere temporary difficulties that will disappear in a couple of weeks.
How to regain full sleep
Experiencing difficulties with falling asleep during menstruation should not immediately go to extreme measures and buy sleeping pills, because a woman can significantly improve her condition during this period and alleviate the symptoms of an ICP by starting to pay more attention to her health and lifestyle. To do this, first of all you need to follow a few simple recommendations:
- During menstruation and a few days before it, stop using drinks containing caffeine or alcohol in favor of herbal tea, for example, chamomile or mint. In addition, a glass of warm milk with honey, lime or buckwheat, drunk at night will help ease falling asleep.
- Revise your diet by replacing fatty, fried and high-calorie foods with dietary products, primarily vegetables and fruits. Celery and parsley, as well as seeds rich in vitamin E, are the most useful during this period. To exclude from the menu chocolate or at least try not to eat it before going to bed. Be sure to include in the daily diet of prunes and dried apricots, enriching the body with calcium and magnesium, and persimmon, which is considered one of the best anti-insomnia.
- In the evenings, go for walks in the fresh air or do yoga to relieve emotional tension and calm the nerves before bedtime. It will also be useful to take a warm bath with the addition of coniferous broth.
- Use essential oils with a calming effect, first of all, lavender, dropping it on a napkin, placed at the head of the bed, or lighting the aroma lamp.
- Trying to go to bed every day at the same time, not staying up late and always ventilate the room.
- Having previously consulted with a doctor, introduce in your diet vitamin supplements that compensate for the deficiency of nutrients in the body during menstruation. We are talking about iron, calcium, vitamin C, and magnesium (at least 250 mg per day) and vitamin B6 (50-100 mg per day).
- Try to avoid stressful situations and avoid conflicts that negatively affect the state of the nervous system.
- Lead an active lifestyle, which includes, among other things, moderate exercise, for example, in the form of daily morning exercises.
Daily exercise can help improve sleep.
If, despite all the measures taken, the situation cannot be radically changed, it makes sense to consult with your doctor for the purpose of prescribing special drugs that have a sedative effect. First of all, it can homeopathic remedies that have a mild sedative effect on the nervous system, not having a large number of contraindications and side effects, as well as not causing addiction. They are distinguished by their natural composition and successfully fight insomnia and the depressive state characteristic of premenstrual syndrome, calming the nervous system and stabilizing blood pressure. Removing anxiety and increased nervousness, drugs of this kind not only help to sleep faster in the evening, but also make the sleep sound and uninterrupted throughout the night. However, some of them allow you to forget about problems with sleep at the end of the first course of administration, while others bring the desired effect even after a single application.
In severe cases, the doctor may prescribe and more serious drugs, but on a synthetic basis: sedatives, antidepressants or tranquilizers. They are very effective in solving problems with sleep during menstruation, but they should be taken with extreme caution, strictly adhering to the instructions. In addition, in each case, the doctor can select an individual dosage of the drug, taking into account the characteristics of the patient and her overall health. However, medications of this kind are not intended for long-term administration because of possible addiction to them. In addition, if the results of tests show that the pronounced symptoms of PMS are caused by serious hormonal disorders in a woman’s body, she may be prescribed an artificial introduction of hormones as a treatment, due to which her condition will improve.
And, of course, it is important to understand that insomnia and other unpleasant symptoms, which are most often associated with the woman’s menstrual cycle, in some cases may be manifestations of much more serious health problems. Therefore, when they occur, it is better to first consult a doctor in order to either exclude possible diseases or start their treatment in a timely manner.
Causes of insomnia before menstruation
When menstruation occurs hormonal adjustment of the body. The concentration of progesterone and testosterone is reduced, since these hormones are required for the maturation of the egg. Because of this, the amount of monoamine oxidase increases, which contributes to the appearance of depressive states and sharp changes in emotions. This substance can cause sleep disorders.
The balance of nutrients in the body also changes. If calcium deficiency is noted, the state of the nervous system worsens, nervousness and irritability occur. Because of this, it becomes difficult to fall asleep. An insufficient amount of glucose can also affect negatively. Due to its lack of a ratio of progesterone and estrogen is changing, anxiety increases, it is difficult to sleep.
Changing the balance of vitamins can disrupt metabolic processes, cause various dysfunctions in the body, including insomnia.
In women suffering from chronic endometriosis, the premenstrual syndrome becomes longer. Because of this, the accompanying symptoms become harder, irritability increases, there is a lack of normal sleep.
How to return a full sleep
To get rid of unpleasant manifestations, it is recommended to consult a doctor. The doctor will select the appropriate treatment option.
It is recommended to refuse fatty, fried foods, heavy for digestion. The number of vegetables and fruits in the menu should be increased. It is necessary to go to bed at one time, it is also recommended to get up on schedule. Useful moderate exercise.
Insomnia during menstruation can be eliminated with the help of special medicines. Medication should be prescribed by a doctor, taking into account the characteristics of the female body during the period before menstruation.
Often prescribed supplementation. Should take calcium, iron, vitamins C and B6, magnesium. Dosages are selected individually.
Homeopathic remedies may be prescribed. They eliminate anxiety, have a sedative effect. Such drugs have a small number of contraindications, do not cause dependence.
Synthetic options are assigned in severe cases. Soothing, antidepressants can be applied. Sometimes the use of tranquilizers is required. To take these drugs can only be prescribed by a doctor.
Hormone therapy helps get rid of hormone imbalances that cause sleep disorders. Drugs are selected on the basis of test results.
What threatens insomnia with PMS
Insomnia with PMS exacerbates the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome. A woman does not get enough sleep, because of which she has increased sensitivity, attention worsens, mood deteriorates, and aggression can occur. Physical well-being also deteriorates. Lack of rest is accompanied by physical weakness, headaches, and dizziness.
Hormone production is impaired. Hormonal imbalance that occurs before menstruation, becomes more pronounced.
Signs of Premenstrual Syndrome
A few days before the onset of menstruation, women begin to get sick, resulting in health problems that are accompanied by negative manifestations, such as:
increased lability of the nervous system, accompanied by irritability, tearfulness, rapid change of mood, headache, dizziness, general weakness,
- the appearance of edema due to fluid retention in the body,
- lower abdominal pain
- change in taste preferences,
- bowel problems,
- tachycardia, accompanied by recurrent pains in the heart, which are functional in nature, due to disruption of the nervous system of the body,
- hypersecretion of the sebaceous glands, leading to the appearance of lesions on the skin,
- muscle pain, sometimes leg cramps,
- depressed state.
All these negative phenomena that appear in women every month have their own nature of development.
Causes of Insomnia
The main reason for the development of PMS is hormonal imbalance, as well as a decrease in the level of certain elements, especially calcium. Reduced production of progesterone and testosterone, leads to disruption of the hormonal, endocrine and nervous systems of the body.
The low blood glucose level, which is responsible for the balance of progesterone and estrogen in the body, causes disturbances in the nervous system, leading to the development of insomnia, irritability, low mood background. In addition, there is a decrease in the amount of melatonin, which is responsible for normal sleep. This hormone does not have the ability to accumulate in the body, so a full night's sleep is very important in PMS.
In addition to hormonal disruption in the body, the cause of insomnia, on the background of PMS, there may be a pathology from the female genital area. Most often this disease is chronic endometriosis, which can provoke delayed menstruation. However, the hormonal shift that occurred in the body has already included premenstrual syndrome with all its negative manifestations.
Negative manifestations of insomnia in PMS
Insomnia with PMS, which has been observed for a long time, can have a negative impact not only on a woman’s health, but also on her ability to work. The hormonal shift that occurs in the body provokes weakness, increasing with the advent of the menstrual cycle. Increased irritability is aggravated by insufficient night rest.
Появляющаяся бессонница перед месячными провоцирует развитие депрессии. Такое нарушение в работе нервной системы, может негативно повлиять на беременность и роды у женщины в будущем времени. Поэтому, очень важно, в этот период жизни женщины, наладить качественный сон, на фоне которого патологические проявления ПМС будут менее выражены.
Лечение бессонницы при ПМС
The mild effect of these medicines provides a sedative effect on the nervous system, smoothing the symptoms of PMS and restoring sleep. Despite the fact that these tools are not addictive and are dispensed in a pharmacy without a prescription, medical consultation is necessary. Only a specialist determines the type of drug, dosage and treatment.
With significant manifestations of premenstrual syndrome, possible adjustment of hormonal levels. It is performed by hormone therapy, which is added to sedatives. Perhaps treatment with benzodiazepines, but these funds are prescribed only according to individual indications.
Such a comprehensive treatment allows you to even out the hormonal background leading to the relief of negative symptoms, and to improve sleep. In more severe cases, when there is depression and sleep disturbance, the use of antidepressants in combination with treatment by a psychotherapist is indicated.
In some cases, according to indications, diuretics are prescribed for edema. They are taken strictly according to the scheme in combination with potassium preparations.
But doctors do not always resort immediately to the appointment of medication. Well proven in the fight against insomnia with PMS, homeopathic remedies. These are drugs that contain only natural ingredients and are not contraindicated, with the exception of an allergic reaction to one or another component. These include:
- DreamZzz is a drug consisting of 32 different herbal ingredients that have a sedative effect on the nervous system and promote rapid sleep. It has an analgesic effect, removing the spasm of smooth muscles of internal organs,
- Sonilyuks - components that are part of the homeopathic remedies, relieve anxiety, tension, improve the quality of sleep. Reception means stops chronic fatigue, resulting in improved mood, general well-being, increased daily activity of the woman.
Preparations are prescribed on an individual basis only by a homeopathic specialist, who paints the patient the dosage, the frequency of treatment and the duration of the course of treatment.
Insomnia as a symptom of PMS
The period that appears about a week before the beginning of menstruation in medicine is called premenstrual syndrome. It is characterized by a sharp increase in progesterone. This is manifested in puffiness, increased appetite, increased irritability and pain in the mammary glands. As a result of the hormonal jump, there are changes in the work of all vital systems, which significantly affects the woman's well-being.
In some cases, pathological processes cause insomnia. It is a violation of the quality and duration of sleep. Predisposing factors to the appearance of insomnia are not only hormonal changes, but also gynecological diseases.
With endometriosis, bend of the uterus, myoma before menstruation, there is a strong pain. They prevent full recovery at night and affect performance. For these reasons, insomnia occurs during menstruation.
A woman experiences particular annoyance during such a period. This is due to a large number of discomfort.
How to deal with insomnia
Sleep disorder before menstruation should not be treated with sleeping pills. They do not eliminate the cause of the pathology. Some medications provoke an addictive effect on the body. Experts recommend normalizing the condition with the help of traditional medicine and lifestyle changes. It is necessary to rely on the following principles:
- It is necessary to go to bed and wake up at the same time. Rather, slow walks or airing the sleeping area will help you fall asleep.
- During the premenstrual syndrome, it is recommended to limit the use of tonic drinks (alcohol, green tea, energy, coffee). It is advisable to drink herbal teas from lemon balm, thyme, peppermint or chamomile.
- In the afternoon, eat easily digestible food. It is required to refuse fatty, salty and spicy dishes. Before lunch you need to eat cereal, vegetables, dairy products and fruits.
- Aromatherapy has a positive effect on the process of falling asleep. To achieve a calming effect, they use lavender, spruce, ylang-ylang and lemon balm oils.
- To avoid reducing the supply of nutrients, it is recommended to periodically take vitamin preparations intended for women.
- It is important to eliminate the possibility of physical discomfort during sleep. The mattress should be moderately hard. In the room should be no extraneous sounds and light.
- On the eve of menstruation, it is desirable to avoid conflict situations.
Before the onset of menstruation, a woman should treat her body with special care. During this period, you can not lift weights, eat spicy food and engage in heavy sports. With the right approach to health, the risk of sleep dysfunction is reduced to the maximum.
Premenstrual syndrome and causes of insomnia
To understand what are the causes of insomnia in PMS, you need to know what this wording is. PMS is a premenstrual syndrome, during the development of which a complex complex of activation of hormones occurs in the female body. It affects the functioning of the heart, the endocrine and nervous systems, and the vascular network.
These problems, as a rule, are connected precisely with the beginning of the development of critical days, that is, they say that menstruation will begin in 2-3 days. To think that a woman develops a disease of one of the above organs or systems is not worth it, since the symptoms appearing in the premenstrual syndrome indicate only menstruation.
Sometimes the fair sex may notice pain or discomfort in the heart, an increase in nervous activity, but you do not need to take any measures to treat this condition.
Signs of the beginning of the premenstrual period are as follows:
- increased desire for sexual partner
- pain in the pelvis of a different nature and intensity,
- physical weakness
- high and unreasonable irritability,
- general discomfort in the body,
- increased appetite.
Why does insomnia develop during premenstrual syndrome? Doctors identify several reasons, one or more of which may be responsible for insomnia. These include:
For a start, it is worth noting a sharp change in the hormonal balance in the body, or rather, in the blood of a woman. Before the onset of menstruation, the level of sex hormones, namely, estrogen and progesterone, increases dramatically. Such substances are responsible for the normal and natural onset of ovulation.
insomnia before menstruation
If there is a violation of their number or ratio, it can lead to a serious hormonal failure, adversely affecting the overall health. At this time, the patient will notice a strong sexual desire, and will also suffer due to lack of sleep, because her body will not work in the usual mode, and therefore, the body will not be able to relax, which contributes to normal sleep.
Changes in the level of trace elements
You also can not forget about the fact that during the course of the menstrual cycle in the human body there is a decrease in some types of trace elements. To a greater extent, they include calcium, which is present in large quantities in the endometrial layer - it is he who comes out of the vagina during critical days, creating red blood discharge.
The absence of this element adversely affects the activity of the organism, since it must be present in a person for a normal and healthy existence. Calcium deficiency leads to health problems and the development of pathological signs.
For example, these include the appearance of seizures, frequent and causeless irritability, a violation of blood clotting, and so on.
That is why doctors argue that the onset of insomnia can occur before the start of critical days - this phenomenon is associated with a lack of nutrients in the body.
Such reasons are considered to be the main reasons why insomnia sets in during the premenstrual period.
What brings insomnia before menstruation
Persistent problems with sleep for 5 days and more cause a large number of negative consequences for the health of a woman. After all, it is known that it is necessary to sleep for at least 8 hours a day so that the body rests and is filled with energy. Otherwise, lack of sleep will cause serious consequences that will adversely affect the physical and emotional state of the ladies.
The period of onset of critical days is always associated with strong loads on the body, which, in the first place, is caused by a jump in hormones. The lack of a normal and full sleep will cause the following consequences for a woman’s health:
- frequent irritability and aggression,
- no desire to do anything.
Therefore, with the development of insomnia, it is required to take measures to treat menstrual syndrome, which will help restore good sleep and normal health. At the same time, it is not worthwhile to do home therapy, otherwise you can only aggravate the course of insomnia.
Attention! If a woman’s insomnia lasts for more than 5 days, you should not leave such a state without attention, since the body is unlikely to recover on its own, and chronic sleep deprivation will cause more and more harm to the patient every day.
Although critical days occur only once a month, insomnia can occur much more often, especially if premenstrual syndrome has become the cause of its development.
How to a woman to return a full and healthy sleep
What to do if sometimes insomnia occurs before the onset of menstruation? If you notice its appearance at an early stage of development, you can immediately take action, and then the pathology will not "grow" and go into a neglected form.
The first time in identifying signs of insomnia, a woman can begin an independent struggle with insomnia, paying particular attention to her diet and lifestyle. You do not need to take drastic measures right away and drink sleeping pills, as it will only give a temporary effect. To prevent the onset of insomnia, it is recommended to observe the following recommendations:
- Before a possible onset of the menstrual cycle for several days, it is recommended to abandon drinks containing caffeine and ethanol. At this time, doctors advise to drink natural drinks, namely teas, medicinal decoctions, milk and juice. It is possible to ease falling asleep with the help of a glass of warm milk or buckwheat or linden tea.
- It is imperative to revise your own diet - it is better to replace fatty and fried foods with dietary and natural foods. These include vegetables, fruits, dairy products, which contain vitamin E, trace elements and other beneficial substances.
- Doctors advise before the onset of menstruation daily to eat persimmon, dried apricots and prunes, which are able to provide the body with magnesium and calcium. In addition, such products cry out because they contain substances similar to the sleepy hormone melatonin.
- In the evenings, you need to relax your own body - for this you can go for a walk in the fresh air, do yoga or just take a comfortable position and listen to music. If it is not possible to relax in such ways, it is recommended to make a useful and relaxing bath of their coniferous twigs, chamomile, or any aromatic oil (lavender and rosemary have proven especially good). This will help calm the nervous system, as well as give the body a pleasant calm. How much before bed you can be in the bath? This is usually done for 10-15 minutes, during which the body will have time to fully relax and unwind.
- In order to calm down the body before going to bed and saturate it with oxygen, one should thoroughly ventilate the room in which the woman is sleeping. It is also not recommended to stay up late - after airing, you should immediately go to bed.
- Be sure to create the correct mode of the day - lie down and get up at one time. Over time, the body develops a regimen, and the woman will be able to quickly fall asleep immediately after going to bed.
- If there are not enough nutrients in the diet of women, such as magnesium, calcium and iron, you can consult with your doctor about taking biological supplements or vitamins - they will help fill the lack of elements that allow you to fall asleep quickly before the onset of menstruation.
- Before bed, you can spend a calm and relaxing exercises - this is necessary in order to reduce the level of adrenaline in the body. But it is necessary to carry out all movements correctly, otherwise the body will become more vigorous and the woman will not be able to fall asleep for sure.
These methods are allowed to use if insomnia is not turned into a chronic form, characterized by a complete lack of sleep during the night. Judging by the reviews, if you start to fulfill such rules in a timely manner, you will be able to restore full sleep before the completion of the menstrual cycle.
In severe cases, doctors prescribe a woman sedatives and hypnotics, as well as tranquilizers, thanks to which it will be possible to restore the body's natural biorhythms. To take such drugs without the knowledge of the doctor is unacceptable, as they have a number of contraindications and side effects.
Observing all the rules, it will be possible to cure insomnia without drugs, which means that the woman's body will not suffer from constant saturation with chemicals that are not needed by him during critical days.
The course of premenstrual syndrome, which takes place, can be not only facilitated, but also prevented. To do this, you must follow certain recommendations of the doctor, which include:
taking vitamin preparations of group “B” and calcium, which reduce the negative symptoms of PMS and eliminate the symptoms of irritability and depression,
- physical activity, in the form of sports or fitness, give adrenaline into the bloodstream, which increases the emotional background and life satisfaction,
- compliance with the diet, giving preference to diet products, vegetables and fruits,
- learning the technique of meditation to relieve stressful situations,
- exclusion of smoking and alcohol,
- a significant reduction in caffeine intake.
Compliance with preventive measures to prevent or reduce PMS symptoms will allow women to more easily experience premenstrual symptoms, improve sleep and improve their quality of life. But, in any case, when health problems associated with the menstrual cycle appear, it is necessary to be examined by a doctor to rule out more serious diseases.
The author of the article: Neurologist Ivanova Tatiana Vladimirovna
Causes of the problem
During menstruation and immediately before it starts, hormones change in the female body, and the balance between useful substances is disturbed. Estrogen and progesterone are responsible for the maturation of the egg, which must be in the blood in the correct ratio. Violation of their ratio causes hormonal failure.
The normal activity of the body is impossible without the required number of different elements, one of which is calcium. It is responsible for the normal functioning of the central nervous system and the muscular system. If they are malfunctioning, the girl will sleep poorly before menstruation, as well as after they start. If the central nervous system does not work normally, then you can forget about a good dream for a long time.
In an ideal situation, a person should fall asleep within 10 minutes. In this case, sleep should not be interrupted until the very morning. In this situation, it is believed that there are no problems with sleep.
Special attention should be paid to the sugar content in the blood. If it becomes low, then sugar cannot ensure the penetration of a sufficient amount of progesterone into the cell. As a result, the amount of sex hormone in the blood begins to grow, which causes problems with the work of the central nervous system.
Such a female disease, like chronic endometriosis, can also cause poor sleep. Constant inflammation that occurs in the body, can cause a shift in the cycle. As a result, hormonal failure began, and the monthly delayed. This leads to aggravation of the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome. Bad sleep is one of these symptoms. By and large, a similar reaction can be provoked by other inflammatory processes that are chronic.
There are other causes of insomnia before menstruation, but the ones that occur most often are listed above.
We should also consider the option when there is no direct relationship between insomnia and menstruation.
If a bad dream began a few days before menstruation or during critical days, then these events are not necessarily related to each other. It is very easy to convince yourself that insomnia has arisen due to menstruation and forget about the problem, waiting for the end of critical days. Однако проблема может лежать в другой плоскости, поэтому нужно рассмотреть все варианты.
- Стресс провоцирует бессонницу. Особенно часто подобная ситуация встречается у людей, что привыкли зацикливаться на негативе. Often, such people begin to worry about sleep problems, which further aggravate the situation.
- Sharp lifestyle changes. Air travel, jet lag, a business trip to another country and much more adversely affect your sleep.
- Taking drugs (foods, beverages) that stimulate nervous activity. This also includes nicotine.
- Uncomfortable sleep conditions. May occur due to hygienic means and heavy menstruation. Especially true for young girls.
- Acceptance of various drugs. There is no complete list, but very often insomnia after menstruation continues precisely because of some drugs that were taken during menstruation.
- Various diseases that interfere with normal sleep. It is difficult to talk about the quality of sleep, if due to illness it is difficult to breathe, you experience heartburn, constantly run to the toilet, etc.
Even a specialist will find it difficult to determine exactly what causes insomnia and whether it is associated with the menstrual cycle. Doctors usually recommend sleeping pills or say that after menstruation, everything will calm down. However, it is worth knowing that this problem may have negative consequences.
Because of insomnia, the following problems may occur:
- a woman’s emotional state is significantly deteriorated due to poor sleep,
- physical deterioration is inevitable if insomnia regularly accompanies the menstrual cycle,
- performance drops,
- the general weakness of the body appears due to the inability to rest properly during sleep,
- the deterioration that occurs due to insomnia before menstruation can lead to depression, irritability, nervousness and anxiety,
- prolonged sleep problems adversely affect brain function.
Each person is unique in his own way. Someone is not enough 8 hours of sleep, and someone 6 hours is enough to recuperate. Therefore, the consequences of insomnia in all will be different.
When not to do without medical care
In the absolute majority of cases, problems with insomnia are solved on their own. If you come to the doctor and ask for help, because you can’t fall asleep for the second day, you will be prescribed a sedative, and in addition a few more “just in case” drugs.
You need to ask for help when sleep problems cause serious discomfort, last for a long time or are accompanied by alarming symptoms. In which cases, you can go to the doctor, even if insomnia is not systemic?
- Recently there was a concussion.
- There are diseases of the nervous system.
- Disruption of normal respiratory activity during sleep.
- Heredity may occur.
- The presence of a disease that interferes with sleep or sleep normally.
As you can see, in all these situations, insomnia during menstruation is not associated with the menstrual cycle itself. It turns out that if the cause is in menstruation, then you do not need to go to the doctor? In fact, it is necessary, because it is impossible to determine the cause on your own. Simply asking for help is necessary when it is already really causing significant discomfort or problems with sleep appear with the approach of a new cycle or after it begins.
You must first contact the gynecologist, who will determine if there is a relationship between insomnia and menses. Depending on the answer, further treatment will be decided.
What you can do yourself
If there is no desire or ability to seek medical help, then you can cope on your own. This will work if the problem is related only to the monthly cycle.
The first step is to abandon the help of inefficient and untested methods. Any homeopathy and traditional medicine will not help here. It is necessary to slightly adjust the lifestyle so that insomnia during menstruation is no longer disturbing.
- Moderate exercise and an active lifestyle are the best prevention of insomnia.
- Airing a room before bed should be the rule.
- Less stress and conflict will have a beneficial effect on life.
- Before the start of critical days, you need to give up caffeine, nicotine and alcohol.
- Evening walks in the fresh air help you fall asleep faster.
- An active lifestyle has a beneficial effect on the entire body.
- Follow a diet that excludes fatty, fried and high-calorie foods at least during menstruation and a few days before it starts.
If all the measures taken do not help and the insomnia is repeated in subsequent cycles, then you will have to contact your doctor with this problem.